Author Topic: 6T09C2860xx - Unrestored Late 66 NJ Fastback Pictures  (Read 6176 times)

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
Re: Unrestored Late 66 NJ Fastback Pictures
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »
Just a side note...I always wondered why my coupe had dimples above the fuel sending unit grommet hole in the trunk floor, now I know....:) Thanks!
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 6T09C2860xx - Unrestored Late 66 NJ Fastback Pictures
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
Doing some work in my files and I thought it would be helpful to post some additional pictures from this car since over 900 looks with the last pictures I posted. Must be a popular type of thread

Hope this helps others

Drivers side B pillar

Carpet (original) heel and teo pad

Unfinished (unlike the reproduction stuff they ahve been selling since the 70's) carpet section for the quarter panel trim

Rear valance screws - as expected. Painted and pan head in this example

Even the end caps fit well after all these years.

End cap/Quarter extension attachment

Drivers side - all studs painted nuts all natural (unpainted)

Passenger side all studs and nuts with paint. Possibly the worker mixed passenger and drivers side up when doing final assembly?

Taillight panel to floor and bumper brace sealant

Drivers side wheel housing to floor. Notice the nice fresh coloring of the interior trim panels (natural not painted) facing the trunk area. Common mistake on cars we see at shows since past and present owners often paint the backs interior color also :(  One of the trap door bumpers has been knocked out

Passenger & drivers side radiator support paint mark - looks to be over black rather than the early (in the process) under we often see

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »
Does this car still have the original Radiator hoses by chance?
Unrestored 66 Metuchen, NJ Fastback 6T09C2435XX
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »
Great pictures. It looks to me in this picture to not have much body color overspray on the bottom? In the rear wheel wheels and on the rear frame rail yes, but the floor pans look relatively devoid of overspray?

Is that how others see it? How does it look in person? In many (all?) of the concours restoration pictures I have seen of the bottoms of cars, it seams like so much overspray is applied that the bottom is more body color than it's original color? Is this car an anomaly? Does the overspray come off over the years in this area?  Or did NJ have less overspray than Dearborn and SJ? Or are most painters going a little too crazy when recreating the overspray?

The best example I have seen in person of an original '66 undercarriage, was an all original rust free CA car from Palm Springs, I didn't see much body color on the bottom of that car either. But the car was Emberglo, and the bottom red oxide, so I wasn't sure if it was there but not very obvious, as not shiny emberglo looks a lot like Red Oxide..

1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 08:46:46 PM »
Great pictures. It looks to me in this picture to not have much body color overspray on the bottom? In the rear wheel wheels and on the rear frame rail yes, but the floor pans look relatively devoid of overspray?

Is that how others see it? How does it look in person? .........................

Believe that this car (red exterior ) is similar to the Emberglow example you mentioned where the overspray would be very difficult to see against the red oxide primer. Also as a side note that if cleaned the floors seem to normally lose about 50% of the overspray to the cleaning method and process.

Believe that the amount of overspray is as consistent as it is at other plants. Sometimes there is just some and other times allot. Possible as a results of a younger (maybe more willing to bend over ;) /or shorter painter than produced a different/lower angle than others
Jeff Speegle

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 03:19:31 PM »
Does this car still have the original Radiator hoses by chance?

J,

By chance did this car have the original Radiator hoses on it? Any good shots of them if so?

Thanks,
RW
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
By chance did this car have the original Radiator hoses on it? Any good shots of them if so?

Sorry no
Jeff Speegle

Offline tomtri66

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 11:17:01 AM »
Thanks for the pics, Jeff!  They help me a lot  :)
C/O    762
65A       Y        22

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
I'm 99% sure my MAR 66 Metuchen Car did not ever have ramp-loc's.  When I did the first ever rebuild on the Change Level 11 Windsor 289 / C, it had the locking tabs and when I removed the manifolds, there was no exhaust gasket material present.  All indications are the manifolds had never been removed.

For what it's worth my Dec 65 Metuchen built GT Coupe did have the locking tabs and no exhaust manifold gaskets too. Head gaskets were original and bearings were Nov 65. Headers cast 5L20 and 5L23 and block 5L18, Intake 5K22, heads 5L15/5L18 (Assembly 5L24). Have all photos. Just pulled it all apart with a very knowledgeable old school mechanic on Thursday. Very reputable and well known in correct engine building circles and an out and out Ford man. As he called it "A virgin motor". Let me know if there is anything else you would like me to check while its apart. I have loads of photos of the whole dismantle process including engine compartment. Very clean and virtually untouched car here. Just slight maintenance replacements e.g. water pump. Original paint, 4 Original PAINT OK stamps (Jeff has seen pics of these on another thread) had original Koni shocks,  rad support markings, buck tag and build sheet. See my info in signature.
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 10:19:38 AM »
For what it's worth my Dec 65 Metuchen built GT Coupe did have the locking tabs and no exhaust manifold gaskets too. Head gaskets were original and bearings were Nov 65. Headers cast 5L20 and 5L23 and block 5L18, Intake 5K22, heads 5L15/5L18 (Assembly 5L24). Have all photos. Just pulled it all apart with a very knowledgeable old school mechanic on Thursday. Very reputable and well known in correct engine building circles and an out and out Ford man. As he called it "A virgin motor". Let me know if there is anything else you would like me to check while its apart. I have loads of photos of the whole dismantle process including engine compartment. Very clean and virtually untouched car here. Just slight maintenance replacements e.g. water pump. Original paint, 4 Original PAINT OK stamps (Jeff has seen pics of these on another thread) had original Koni shocks,  rad support markings, buck tag and build sheet. See my info in signature.

My unrestored April 15th built Metuchen FB has the locking tabs as well, car has been in wife's family for around 40 years and the engine has not been touched.

Offline tomtri66

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 11:17:51 PM »

Would love to see your rad support markings so I know what to look for when I carefully strip mine.  So far I have only seen Dearborn examples, I believe.  Thanks
C/O    762
65A       Y        22

Offline Sam Cro

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »
Very cool photos Jeff thank you for posting Mine is a NJ car it has been restored by the PO and had a Color change from the silver blue to Red . Red sells I guess I have it ;)

most all of my car was done concours correct I think However the under carriage is Blacked out with a little over spray showing on it I have not took photos of it I had to clean the rad it was clogged up and re place the water pump it was fried and had broken bolts in it . I am pleased with the car as it does not have any rust and the floor pans are excellent the car was babied and kept in a garage for its life .

Sam   

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »
Would love to see your rad support markings so I know what to look for when I carefully strip mine.  So far I have only seen Dearborn examples, I believe.  Thanks

Only have pics of grease pencil markings at the moment but should be stripping rad support in the next few weeks and will post pics for ya then. I'm going to trace these and mark their locations for restoration replacement of course!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:19:56 AM by 66RavenGTCoupe »
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 02:25:35 AM »
Doing some work in my files and I thought it would be helpful to post some additional pictures from this car since over 900 looks with the last pictures I posted. Must be a popular type of thread

Hope this helps others

Carpet (original) heel and teo pad

Hey Jeff,

Can you tell me how to identify if I have the original carpet. Most of the other parts and panels are original and I've always wanted to know about the carpet.

Thanks.
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 09:22:06 AM »
I noticed the taillight housing spacers are not on this car, they are not on my unrestored 66 either and there are no marks in the paint that would lead me to believe they were ever there. Does it seem to be common they were left off of NJ cars?

Passenger side all studs and nuts with paint. Possibly the worker mixed passenger and drivers side up when doing final assembly?