Author Topic: 6T09C2860xx - Unrestored Late 66 NJ Fastback Pictures  (Read 7712 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 6T09C2860xx - Unrestored Late 66 NJ Fastback Pictures
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 09:24:09 PM »
I noticed the taillight housing spacers are not on this car, they are not on my unrestored 66 either and there are no marks in the paint that would lead me to believe they were ever there. Does it seem to be common they were left off of NJ cars?

Will have to look at more pictures to see if we have a pattern. 2 cars is IMHO not enough to make that assumption

Passenger side all studs and nuts with paint. Possibly the worker mixed passenger and drivers side up when doing final assembly?

Noticed the same thing and have not seen this before (not sure how you mix one side with another - but that would explain what we're seeing on this particular car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »
I got docked at my first MCA show for that, they recommended I add them, but I am not going to do it as you can tell they were never there. My FB was built at the NJ plant April 15th btw.

Will have to look at more pictures to see if we have a pattern. 2 cars is IMHO not enough to make that assumption

Noticed the same thing and have not seen this before (not sure how you mix one side with another - but that would explain what we're seeing on this particular car

Sorry, that was your text from the original post in between the pics I should have removed that. Mine don't look like that. the studs have paint but not the nuts.

Also I checked my carpet while getting the car ready for the grand national show this week, it is the same as of your example with non sewn edges at the firewall and the qtr panel

Also take a look at my  trap door arm attachment point under the car. The inserts are there but if you notice they missed the insert on one with one of the screws.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:46:01 AM by AU SNK »
Unrestored 66 Metuchen, NJ Fastback 6T09C2435XX
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »
Also take a look at my  trap door arm attachment point under the car. The inserts are there but if you notice they missed the insert on one with one of the screws.

Unfortunately nothing done at NJ plant surprises me :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 07:14:06 AM »
My 66 NJ GT Coupe is very original and numbers matching for if you need more pictures and stuff?
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 05:22:04 PM »
My 66 NJ GT Coupe is very original and numbers matching for if you need more pictures and stuff?

Always happy to receive more pictures. I you want to figure out how you want to get them to me let me know. Owners from around the world have been very kind and have sent hundreds of pictures of their unrestored cars during disassembly or just current condition using CD. DVDs or online photo albums \\Thanks for thinking of me
Jeff Speegle

Offline DanG

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 01:39:09 PM »
A quick question, the car appears to have a passenger side torque box ?
I thought only convertibles had them in '66 ?
DanG

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »
A quick question, the car appears to have a passenger side torque box ?
I thought only convertibles had them in '66 ?
DanG

If your referring to the pictures in reply #3 - those were posted by another member to illustrate a point in the discussion and not from 6T09C2860xx ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2017, 11:30:05 PM »
Couple of filler neck pictures added since I've uploaded then and used them in another thread.

Jeff Speegle

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 12:32:31 PM »

Passenger side all studs and nuts with paint. Possibly the worker mixed passenger and drivers side up when doing final assembly?

Please pardon me if I missed something in another thread, but why would the driver (or passenger studs) have paint?  And whatever the reason, was this something that was done universally or just in this time frame at NJ?
Thanks,
Tom
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »
Please pardon me if I missed something in another thread, but why would the driver (or passenger studs) have paint?  And whatever the reason, was this something that was done universally or just in this time frame at NJ?

The end caps/quarter panel extensions as we understand the process were loosely installed (and spaced out from the body slightly) when the car was painted. For this reason the exposed studs and threads were painted when the interior of the trunk was painted. Often its not allot of paint depending on how much paint was applied to the surrounding panels and the upper corner of the trunk. This practice is fairly common all years and plants though  the years for Mustangs there are a few places and time periods where it appears this was not done but those IMHO represent very very short time windows at those plants or a mistake in the normal practices
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 08:04:22 PM »
I want to bring this up again.
The end caps/quarter panel extensions as we understand the process were loosely installed (and spaced out from the body slightly) when the car was painted. For this reason the exposed studs and threads were painted when the interior of the trunk was painted. Often its not allot of paint depending on how much paint was applied to the surrounding panels and the upper corner of the trunk. This practice is fairly common all years and plants though  the years for Mustangs there are a few places and time periods where it appears this was not done but those IMHO represent very very short time windows at those plants or a mistake in the normal practices
Between the Extension and body were a flat washer and a mastic (used as a sealer to the body) washer for each stud (6 total), and a Sems type nut on the inside (also 6). (There should be overspray on them.)
What was used to keep the extension away from the body? How many? (There should be marks of some type.)
On later types (I think 65 and 66), there was a rubber seal to the body used. When did this seal get installed? (It did not get painted.)
Was the extension removed and reinstalled with the required hardware? (That's not very efficient.)
Per the assembly manual (and observations), there was a "wad" of sealer installed over the tooling holes from inside the trunk, supposedly after paint and after the extension was installed. (It should not be painted.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 08:21:11 PM »
I want to bring this up again. Between the Extension and body were a flat washer and a mastic (used as a sealer to the body) washer for each stud (6 total), and a Sems type nut on the inside (also 6). (There should be overspray on them.)

Since where discussing NJ assembly plant practices they may have been slightly different than the other plants and different years come into play also.  But if we apply what we find on unrestored cars and other plants . No not all nuts would have overspray or paint on them nor were there always a washer between the extension and the body. 

What was used to keep the extension away from the body? How many? (There should be marks of some type.)

Don't know since I've never been able to find one of the guys to talk to them who was responsible for overseeing or assigned to the task. For San Jose it appears that the sealant itself may have provided this function

On later types (I think 65 and 66), there was a rubber seal to the body used. When did this seal get installed? (It did not get painted.)
Was the extension removed and reinstalled with the required hardware? (That's not very efficient.)

Based on what we've found it appears that the seal was applied after paint not sure if the worker had to remove the extension or was skilled enough to put it into the groove while attached.  If no hardware was used at NJ to retain the extension as it was at San Jose (one nut) then the task would have been quick and easy
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2017, 08:15:32 PM »
While fixing old dead links thought I would add some additional pictures from this car to help others.

Engine Compartment

E1 Heater motor and firewall sealant

E2 PS back of engine, automatic filler tube and other details

E3 Voltage regulator

E4 Air cleaner service decal location

E5 Buck tag and location Overspray from earlier repaint/touch up in the area

E6 Sealed electrical pass throughs on drivers side firewall

E7 Master cylinder and more electrical sealant

E8 Firewall sealant and items under master cylinder

E9 Paint inspector stamp in yellow - drivers side cowl

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A few additional  Trunk shots

T1 Trunk lid spring end retainer

T2 Routing for fuel sender wire for this plant and year

T3

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A few additional  Undercarraige shots

U1 Body color and pinch weld black out spray. Sure some of the finner overspray was removed when surface was wiped/cleaned

U2 Front wheel well sound deadener over black paint

U3 Front wheel well sound deadener over black paint  and possibly some grease or rattle can black over that  ::)

Jeff Speegle

Offline sglbbs

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »
Here is a Paint OK stamp on hood from a slightly earlier unrestored car 6T09A229xxx I saw this week at a collection in Switzerland.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 09:15:06 PM »
I have that one too "KRRWIN". Go figure?
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)