Author Topic: Can anyone identify this jack  (Read 3948 times)

Offline poboy427

Can anyone identify this jack
« on: February 12, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »
I ran across this jack and someone had written on it that it was a 67 or 68. I pressed the guy and he said he thought it was for a 67 or 68 and he was pretty sure it was a Mustang so don't let the felt markings sway your decision on what this might be. It has no top "A" and no date code. It is a course thread. The rivets are all round. I have seen some jacks with cross cut rivets and I have seen a jack with combination of rivets. This jack has all round type. The top "flip flop" is shaped differently than some I've seen.

Ray

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Re: Can anyone identify this jack
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »
This is not a 67/68 jack.  This is an early jack assembly from 65/66.  Those years did not have date codes.  The A stamping is the manufacturer stamping. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline poboy427

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 06:14:48 PM »
Ok-So now I need to know what a Nov '65 built San Jose jack might look like. Maybe someone has a pic. This is really where my research needs to lead me. If I'm going to sell or swap what I have for a correct jack for my 66 I need to know what I have now. Thanks for the response

Ray

Offline poboy427

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »
Marcus sent you a PM.

I hear you when you call this an early 65 66 jack but I have yet to find another early jack with All the same features. Thought I saw one that Bob Gaines featured but the top was diff and the receiving "U" was reversed on his and the large nut was welded on inside of "U" rather than outside like mine. Also saw that the "gear mesh" at the base legs at the bottom was cut diff than mine.

Ray

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:18:05 PM »
I agree that the smaller 65/66 style jack did not come with any date codes. I believe Marcus has done a lot of impressive research on the jack subject recently and I hate to disagree but we are friends and we can agree to disagree. Over the years I have found the larger style jacks (67-70) to be more prevalent without date codes. I am forced to come to the conclusion that ether some vendors stamped the date codes sporadically during a given run or chose not to date mark the jacks . There are too many of the later style out there that don't have date codes to be a seldom seen occurrence IMHO.  I would like to know the reason why I have found so many non date stamped jacks (many in cars)and will continue to investigate ether to confirm or modify my point of view. I am sure Markus will too.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:21:02 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 02:07:49 AM »
I agree, all I can do is draw conclusions from what I have seen and keep seeing.  Of the 40 or so jacks that I have right now about 4 dont have date codes and those in my opinion are early 67 jacks before they started doing date codes.  Its amazing when you start looking at them really close you can eventually find date codes on most of 1967+ jacks.  But I will not dispute that some of them may have been missed or not stamped. 
In the end if I was doing a restoration I would want one that is date coded for my car and the correct style....thats what it really comes down to.

If all goes well Mustang Monthly will be running some of this information in May in their magazine.   
Marcus Anghel

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »
I agree, all I can do is draw conclusions from what I have seen and keep seeing.  Of the 40 or so jacks that I have right now about 4 dont have date codes and those in my opinion are early 67 jacks before they started doing date codes.  Its amazing when you start looking at them really close you can eventually find date codes on most of 1967+ jacks.  But I will not dispute that some of them may have been missed or not stamped. 
In the end if I was doing a restoration I would want one that is date coded for my car and the correct style....thats what it really comes down to.

If all goes well Mustang Monthly will be running some of this information in May in their magazine.
And out of the 20 I have right now that have been blasted (because of your observations   :o thank you very much  ;D ) only 2 or 3 WITH date codes. You can understand my apprehension . Although as you pointed out a dated jack on a later car is nice I could not in good conscience point deduct a later car in concours for not having a dated jack (we rarely are in a position to check  ;) ) Good job on the research that you and Bruce did if I haven't already told you.It was on my to do list to tell you and Bruce in person but wasn't able to make it to Scottsdale this year.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »
No problem Bob.  Bruce's years of research were key in putting together what I did. 
Either way with the information available now most of the issues have been resolved on the jacks, and its at least easy to answer the question of "what the correct style jack for my car?".  The other thing I wanted to put an end to was all the sellers out there on Ebay that are selling "Boss 429 jacks" or restamping date codes on early jacks and selling them to people who dont know any better.  Seen plenty of that. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 05:32:38 PM »
No problem Bob.  Bruce's years of research were key in putting together what I did. 
Either way with the information available now most of the issues have been resolved on the jacks, and its at least easy to answer the question of "what the correct style jack for my car?".  The other thing I wanted to put an end to was all the sellers out there on Ebay that are selling "Boss 429 jacks" or restamping date codes on early jacks and selling them to people who dont know any better.  Seen plenty of that.
Easy enough to do given the style and the method. You will probably see more after your article circulates  ;) .

Offline specialed

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »
What about jack handles?

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 08:59:56 PM »

Jack handles is another project....need to sit and write it all out in the next few months.  Right now I am tied up with some purple Mach 1 and just got a 68 KR to work on as well and somebody needs to do all the yard work around here too.....
Marcus Anghel