Author Topic: 1969 Plastic paint  (Read 3295 times)

Offline chrint

1969 Plastic paint
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
I have a 1969 Mach-1 with White interior, what is the BEST original colour match for paint i need brands and purchase locations and what is the best painting process to get concours results?
Who makes the bets quality rear seat plastic mouldings with correct grain and fit?
Chris from OZ
chris.ctech@bigpond.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 Plastic paint
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »
Best process is to remove all of the older paint from the item before you paint in a way that will not reduce or disturb the original grain then lay on the minimal amount of paint to cover the surface well without adding too much at a time (coat) since this will fill in the grain and sometimes produce a glossy finish.

For a white interior you will need both White and Charcoal to complete the restoration. The trap door and surrounding panels are Charcoal as well as the dash and other pieces.  One the white interior 69 we did I never compared the new color to the old since it was well faded, aged and IMHO could not be trusted as a true representation.  I believe we purchased PPG paint from AutoColorLibrary

Just what worked for me
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:41:09 PM »
I use DUPONT interior paint. It can be mixed off the original paint code and it looks correct. This is an off white color for sure and when you look at in a can it's almost looks cream color. This is a ready to spray product so order accordingly as it doesn't go very far. There is 3 different gloss levels of the product, flat, semi gloss and gloss. I tried the flat and it's too flat, the semi gloss works well on the interior plastic parts for a correct look and not too glossy. Make sure you get prep the plastic parts with a plastic prep cleaner and use an adhesion promotor before you refinish the parts. Make sure your parts are absolutely clean. I use a strong laundry detergent and brush first and do that a couple of times and rinse thoroughly. Refinishing grained plastic always is a challenge since you can't sand it but this has worked pretty good for me.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:44:26 PM »
.... Refinishing grained plastic always is a challenge since you can't sand it but this has worked pretty good for me.

No but you can strip it of all the paint - I used Easy Off Oven cleaner (just spray lye), let it set, worked it a bit with a brush and rinsed. Took some work but no paint left on the pieces when done.

Be sure to wears some hand and eye protection ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline app01

• Make Your Car Stand Out with A Custom Showboard from
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:07:37 AM »
Jeff,

You use the  Easy Off just on metal  interior parts, and not the plastic ones, correct?
Currently own:
1970 Boss 302 - Yellow- May 1970, Dearborn
1970 Mach 1 -Sept 1969, Metuchen
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1967 Mustang Convertible (My 1st car)
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT
1969 Mach 1 (<29k miles, Unrestored, MCA Gold)-sold in 2012

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »
Jeff,

You use the  Easy Off just on metal  interior parts, and not the plastic ones, correct?

No have used it on the "Plastic pieces" specifically the rear panels on a sportroof

Yes surprised me also ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline chrint

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
 Thanks for all the help.
What is the PPG paint code for the OFF White??
Who sells the best quality plastic around the fold down seat?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 08:46:54 PM »
Thanks for all the help.
What is the PPG paint code for the OFF White??

#8775 Was the original PPG paint code

Who sells the best quality plastic around the fold down seat?

Can't answer - always used originals
Jeff Speegle