Author Topic: Under carriage paint question for 71 Mach 1  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Ashley

Under carriage paint question for 71 Mach 1
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:23:20 PM »
My 71 Mach 1 under carriage was black originally. With the black under carriage did the engine bay paint continue to the under side to rear of car, or was a different glossier black used from bottom of firewall back. Thanks, Ashley

Offline nham3407

Re: Under carriage paint question for 71 Mach 1
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »
Engine bay, top of the cowl and just a few inches back beyond the transition from the firewall to the floorpan will be black.  The remainder of the floorpan back will be "slop gray."  There are several posts within the forum regarding the various hughes of slop gray.  In my example it was a greenish gray.  I would try a look in the transmission tunnel or above the gas tank to see if you can find an original shade of slop gray for your car.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Under carriage paint question for 71 Mach 1
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 05:28:29 PM »
Engine bay, top of the cowl and just a few inches back beyond the transition from the firewall to the floorpan will be black.  The remainder of the floorpan back will be "slop gray."  There are several posts within the forum regarding the various hughes of slop gray.  In my example it was a greenish gray.  I would try a look in the transmission tunnel or above the gas tank to see if you can find an original shade of slop gray for your car.

+1  In this case just put yourself in the position of the factory painter, From above (standing around the engine compartment - like you were looking at the engine if it had been installed at that point)  how far could you paint from above without climbing in the engine compartment?  Not very far and the bottom edge of the black will fade away the further down it was on the firewall.  so when you coat the bottom of the car come up the firewall a bit so that if youv don't have a stripe left between the floor color and the firewall black
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)