Author Topic: 66 Painted Magnum 500  (Read 3592 times)

Offline G Wood

66 Painted Magnum 500
« on: February 01, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »
I just learned that 66 had a painted magnum 500 option. I had not noticed them before, does anyone know the grey paint code or color?
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 Painted Magnum 500
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »
We've had a ongoing discussion over on the SAAC site and none of the experienced owners could come up with the original color. Hopefully (think some one was tracking it down) someone will take an original and have the color match- best way I think at this point.

Maybe someone else has an answer
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mustangmann

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 02:24:30 AM »
Hi Jeff and all.  I have an N.O.S. set of 4 painted Magnum wheels with the original Motor Wheel box.  This paint is very unique, in that it is almost "textured" (although a fine texture).  It seems rough to the touch. If anyone can give me some direction, I can see about getting it matched, but I would think it would be tough.

Ken Mann 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 03:17:18 AM »
Hi Jeff and all.  I have an N.O.S. set of 4 painted Magnum wheels with the original Motor Wheel box.  This paint is very unique, in that it is almost "textured" (although a fine texture).  It seems rough to the touch. If anyone can give me some direction, I can see about getting it matched, but I would think it would be tough.

Hi Ken - glad you found our little space on the internet ;)

Are these the older versions?  Darker gray, fairly flat and slightly textured look?  Have seen some later versions that were smooth, glossy and a lighter "battle ship gray".

You should be able to take the nicest one to any auto paint stores (not sure what you have available near by) and most places have these cameras that they place against the surface, take a "picture" and analyze the color.

We did that a few months back with a special order paint car - the shop even came to us with the machine

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mustangmann

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »
Jeff and all;

Thank you for the great "welcome"!  I look forward to learning much, and contributing all that I can.

I would say that the wheels that I have are the lighter shade, but they are textured, as well.  I will look for a date on the box.  I bought them from Tom Sensabaugh before he passed away.  He had a few sets in their original boxes! 

I have seen the tool that the paint stores use.  Should provide a close match.  Maybe they can tell me how to add the texture?  Been very busy lately on the 66 GT-350, but will get a few pictures as soon as I can.

Ken Mann 

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »
I may be an idiot but let me add my 2 cent worthless contribution.   If the textured paint surface profile looks like I imagine it, and if that surface profile looks like really really bad orange peel, then I may have an idea to duplicate it once you have determined the silver color and painted them.
I have an 89 Jeep Comanche.  It came from the factory with the lower 8" of the body topcoated with a textured clear product that's pupose was to prevent rocks from chipping the paint.  It seems like I saw a set of these silver Magnums back in the 80's.  I think I remember that texture looking like the bottom of my Jeep truck.  That product would be easy to find at the local paint jobber and the silver part of the Magnums could be cleared with it.
Bryan
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)