Author Topic: '69 GT Stripe locations  (Read 8724 times)

Offline 69mustanggt

'69 GT Stripe locations
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:18:57 PM »
Looking through the Osborn manual and searches here and across the Internet I can't seem to find a definite answer to where the stripes on a GT are supposed to be located.  I have seen tons of pics but the angle of them doesn't help in determining the correct placement of the strips.  Anyone know of a source or know the actual measurements for the stripes on the front fender, door, and rear quarter.  From what I can tell the stripes should be on each side of the rear tire, across the door, and then the back half of the front fender behind the front wheel.

Hints/suggestions appreciated.

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
Re: '69 GT Stripe locations
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:08:51 PM »
The stripe is exactly 1/4 of an inch from the bottom of the door.  You install the stripe on the door first, after you know you will not do anymore adjustments to the doors. Once the door stripe is straight along the bottom of the door, with the door in the closed position. Do the quarter panel and fender.  The door is pretty much straight forward as far as alignment.  You might want to take some 3/4" tape and make a line to go by on the quarter and fender to help get it straight.  Also the stripe ends a quarter of an inch from the wheel openings, in 69 it did not wrap around the lip. Notice in the picture of Jacks car, you can see the stripe just ending from the edge of the fender. This was an NOS kit I installed.  I hope that helps!

MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline 69mustanggt

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:33:24 PM »
So does the stripe continue on the rear quarter behind the wheel?  I notice in the pic of the convertible that the stripes don't.  Was there a difference in the strips on a sportsroof vs. coupe vs. convertible?  The "Factory Spec" kit I got has 4 pieces for each side.

Offline Armond

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:14:58 PM »
No it does not extend into the rear quarter past the wheel.  It is exactly as shown.  I have not seen a repo 69 mustang kit, but it sounds like 68/69 Torino GT coupe/convert kit that does extend past the wheel.  I am not saying it is a torino kit, but maybe they thought the mustang kit should be like the Torino GT kit. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:17:07 PM by Armond »
MCA#31064

Offline 69mustanggt

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:32:20 PM »
Well that is a bummer.  The kit was from Graphic Express and they are supposed to be Ford licensed.  The kit said "As supplied by Factory" and it contained 8 pieces.  I guess I could have gotten by with getting the non-premium kit -- would have saved me about $20.  But at the end of the day $20 is a drop in the bucket compared to other expenses on the car.  I guess I should have checked here instead of using the Internet as my guide.  I found several pics like the one below which led me to think I needed 4 pieces per side to be "right".

Offline Armond

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 03:26:52 AM »
I have had a couple of GT's along with the one I still have and I have never seen one like the picture you have.   If you want, take the measurements of the stripe and I can compare it to my NOS kit I have. Take a look at this kit on Ebay.  If you look close at the pictures. You will see on the four shorter decals. They have a slight upward bend in them. This is correct. These are the reflective ones, but they have non reflective.  The slight bend in the decal is so that when it is applied, the bend goes up onto the wheel opening and it will lay on straight, making it easier to line up and apply. Sounds nuts, but it works. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-MUSTANG-GT-REFLECTIVE-SIDE-STRIPE-KIT-FORD-LICENSED-/321084054615?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac219dc57&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:35:35 AM by Armond »
MCA#31064

Offline 69mustanggt

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »
My kit came from E-bay as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300602568454?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I checked and it does have the slight curve in it - I hadn't even noticed until you mentioned it.  I am so puzzled - I guess my body guy would prefer to do three stripes instead of four.  I will probably have him do the 3 stripes on one side and 4 on the other.  If I like 4 I will go with 4 (and take the hit).  I wish there was a true depiction in a guide (from Ford) that showed the stripes.  It is such a pain to have multiple "factory right" kits.  I guess I will learn to live with the mystery. 

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
FWIW, the '69 Mustang sales brochure has a section on the GT Equipment Group in the back and the car depicted does not have stripes behind the rear wheels.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline 69mustanggt

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »
Rock -- thanks for the info.  I have looked through the .pdf of that thing several times and never noticed it.  Now I feel like sending a 'nasty-gram' to the seller of the stripes and share with them my thoughts on their "as Factory supplied" listing.  I guess 3 strips per side it is and I will hang on to the 4th stripe so I have a constant reminder of the error of my ways.  Should have asked here before I bought them.  I guess the old saying "Caveat emptor" still holds true even in the digital age.

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »
Bring back an old topic. I was taking a certain test and saw where a question was about the tri colored stripe on 69 GT and based on what I thought, it was white, black and gold.  However, that was not an option for answers so I had to go with just white and black.  I was really thinking that gold was available on these cars as well?? like the pic above.  was the gold stripe an option or not.  Because mine had a gold stripe and I just took for granted that it was correct but now I don't know.. the car was repainted in the late 70's so its possible it was replaced. I don't have the build sheet so Im not sure.  ??  What do you guys see out there?
1969 Mustang Sportsroof GT 351w, NJ built, Black Jade w/ Gold GT stripe, black standard interior..

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »
Bring back an old topic. I was taking a certain test and saw where a question was about the tri colored stripe on 69 GT and based on what I thought, it was white, black and gold.  However, that was not an option for answers so I had to go with just white and black.  I was really thinking that gold was available on these cars as well?? like the pic above.  was the gold stripe an option or not.  Because mine had a gold stripe and I just took for granted that it was correct but now I don't know.. the car was repainted in the late 70's so its possible it was replaced. I don't have the build sheet so Im not sure.  ??  What do you guys see out there?

Maybe you're thinking of Mach I stripes?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 07:00:39 PM »
no.  I'm speaking of the 69 GT stripes. was white and Black all that was available.  I remember an old mustang monthly article titled "like father, Like son" which had a black jade 69 gt with gold stripes as well as a few other 69 gt's l ve seen that where suppose to be concourse with blk jade and gold. I never gave it anymore thought because my 69 gt black jade had a gold stripe when I purchased it back in 03 and it had been in a barn since 1981. Now Im questioning it.??
1969 Mustang Sportsroof GT 351w, NJ built, Black Jade w/ Gold GT stripe, black standard interior..

Offline argreenheads

• 479-597-9279
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »
found a pic

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 09:56:19 PM »
Cant say its correct or not, but my very first car, my 69 GT had a chrome strip running under the GT stripe. Photo from 1979.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 10:06:26 PM »
Cant say its correct or not, but my very first car, my 69 GT had a chrome strip running under the GT stripe. Photo from 1979.

Looks like it might be a Mach I with a repaint and GT stripe

found a pic

Is that a restored car? Looks like it might be

NOTE _ removed my earlier posted picture since the stripe was not original
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:22:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)