Author Topic: 65 deluxe steering wheel restoration  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Chris

65 deluxe steering wheel restoration
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:58:32 PM »
I'm trying to restore a 65 deluxe steering wheel I just purchased. The finish on the steering wheel is all but gone, just a gray color left on top, some bit of brown on the bottom on the top ridge of the finger grips.

The problem is, I do not know the correct color(s) to use to refinish the steering wheel. There is a Mustang Monthly article on restoring classic mustang steering wheels that describes some colors, but this was for a '70 Mach 1 steering wheel: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_9908_classic_ford_mustang_steering_wheel_restoration/viewall.html

"The colors are custom, but if you can find a Pantone PMS color guide (available at most art supply stores), you can use these color chips to match the brown (PMS 470 for the light basecoat and PMS 477 for the dark brown). Mike sprayed the base and let it sit for several minutes before going to the topcoat. This was mixed with some translucent black that allowed color from the base to bleed through"

Can anyone help with the correct colors to use, and method of restoration?

Thanks,
Chris
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 deluxe steering wheel restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:49 AM »
I went to a hobby shop and bought acrylic paints in different brown tones.  Get some red/black/white to mix up if needed.  Think there are spots on the bottom of your wheel that might offer help on the original finish.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46:56 AM »
Thanks Charles! I'll get working on the paint and post back how it turns out.

Chris
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »
You can use a knife or blade to cut the grain appearance back into the plastic.  I bought some coarse paint brushes to apply the brown tones.

You'll want to clear-coat the wheel at least 3-5 times with a nice lacquer.  A catalyzed urethane clear might be better, but would want to test on a junk wheel or test area first.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin