1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Boss

69 Boss 302 Disassembly

(1/8) > >>

J_Speegle:
Recently started the process of replacing the engine in my Boss that I've had over 20 years. Car has about 30K miles but has a body repaint :(  When I purchased ti we did the paint, freshened up the engine compartment and dropped in an engine I had rebuilt for a friend.  Finally found all the parts I needed fro the original engine, had it rebuilt and figured I needed to put them both together again.  As usual nothing is that easy, can't just drop the new engine in the old engine compartment and that front suspension is showing a little age (cleaned and cleared it years ago when I first got it) so you get the idea. Currently engine bay is being repainted, original suspension is out, being cleaned again and refinished if needed.

Will be repairing the drivers seat (just got a rear seat for a donor panel) and the antenna will disappear since we've since discovered it was a radio delete car originally

Purpose of this thread is to share some pictures of the original pieces, finishes and such in a hope that I can help someone else our provide a base for further discussions. Hope its helpful

For the record (I better not forget to include this ;)  this is a April 24th Dearborn built Boss 302

Before

Now

More to come

Dads Boss:
Best of Luck I'm sure you will do a great job.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Dads Boss on May 28, 2013, 07:42:33 PM ---Best of Luck I'm sure you will do a great job.

--- End quote ---

Thanks - no restoration this time - but must confess  its often difficult to stop yourself from going to far or too detailed :)

J_Speegle:
Spindles

Nice shape for 4 years old.

Worst looking of the two sides

69 Boss/HD spindle identifier

Another angle

Quenching effect and coloration of the metal still visible after all these years. A little cleaner after some degreasing. You can make out the difference in finish on the steering arm where the original arm paint mark was located

Close up of the darkened verses machined surfaces - Yes a little grease and chips - look much better after they were fully cleaned. Got to love those original Calif cars :)

J_Speegle:
A couple of additional spindle shots

Driver's side

Passenger's side

Spindle Hardnest test location - The close up shows the wrinkle effect the quenching oil can produce in some of the bends and curves of the surface

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version