1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1970 Mustang

70 Mach 1 Dearborn rocker molding black out

(1/6) > >>

imnutz66:
I was reading the previous post about paint line on doors and I was wondering about the black-out area on Mach 1 doors and rockers - my car was re-painted before I got it, and nothing was done to the finish before the rocker mouldings were re-installed, and I have read that the areas between and below the mouldings need to be black and not body color. How was this done at the factory and what if any is the proper overspray?   ???

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: imnutz66 on February 09, 2010, 10:39:52 AM ---I was reading the previous post about paint line on doors and I was wondering about the blackout area on Mach 1 doors and rockers - my car was repainted before I got it, and nothing was done to the finish before the rocker mouldings were reinstalled, and I have read that the areas between and below the mouldings need to be black and not body color. How was this done at the factory and what if any is the proper overspray?   ???

--- End quote ---

Noticed this is your first post - Welcome

As you will notice, most of the time we will need to know when and where your car was built so we can provide the best possible answer to your question. You can either just put it permanently at the bottom each post by putting it in your signature or simply include it each time.  Often your VIN and the the real completion date (from your Marti report if you have one) works the quickest and easiest.

So with that said - When and where was the car built?  ;)

SCJSTU:
Jeff,
did body color also play a part?

imnutz66:
Thanks for the welcome, great to find the site and be here. My car is a October 69 build in Dearborn, body is calypso coral, I will edit my signature when I get five minutes.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: imnutz66 on February 10, 2010, 08:05:41 AM ---...........My car is a October 69 build in Dearborn, body is calypso coral,....................

--- End quote ---

OK we can work with that information

There are what appears to be three areas of the body that were handled differently on 70 Dearborn Mach I's 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One was the taillight panel where the paint received a coat of black paint between the taillight openings. The effect blacked out the gap between the taillight housing and the applique panel as well as the gap between that panel and the trunk lock bezel or trim surround

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second black out detail appears to be a difference in the height of the normal pinch weld black out. Instead of stopping on the bottom horizontal surface of the rocker  they applied it much high to about where the side cladding would be attached.

Thirdly appears to be an effort to black out the gaps between the various cladding pieces attached to the front fender, door, rocker panel and the rear quarter panel. This appears to all have been applied with a brush as shown in the pictures.

So you have

------------------------------------------------------
1- Front fenders appear to have been blacked out allot. Looks like a brush and possibly spray to apply and since they were painted (with exterior color) IMHO they were likely blacked out on the other paint line (where all the individual parts were painted) rather than once they were installed on the car

2- Rocker panel (in addition to the pinch weld blackout)

3- Door edges (sorry no real good clear picture of the forward or rear edges painted on a Dearborn car IMHO they were done as they were at other plants) See blue arrow in the fender picture below for a glimpse of the black out. Like the (top of the L on the quarter panel black out) the black appears to stop at or about where the bottom edge of the chrome strip along the top of the cladding would be.

4- Rear quarter panel - basically a big "L" shape on both sides

The only conflict I found was the handling of the black out on the rocker panel as it curves into the door opening - towards the sill plate. On three cars I have pictures of the black stops at or near the edge where the panel curves into the door opening and one car it appears that it was blacked out all the way to the sill plate.  Since this is a single finding IMHO it was likely a mistake made by a fill in person or , since this car was an earlier car (117xxx verses 167xxx or 176xxx) it may be something that was changed between the time the examples were built.

Example of the paint break at the edge of the rocker/sill on the "later" cars (Approx Oct - on)

In this one (green arrow ) you can see part of the front edge of the rocker panel black out shown in the other picture

As always - this is based on what I currently have available and my current understanding based on this data. Hope this helps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version