Author Topic: Under hood question  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Keithc8

Under hood question
« on: February 19, 2010, 02:19:51 AM »
 It appears that I have been told wrong and get to redo something on the 69 Shelby I am working on. I was told by some people that were suppose to know that the area right below the cowel panel going into the engine compartment was painted black like the area under the cowel panel. I was told that when the hood was opened you saw just the black and no body color. But from what I have seen in the pictures here on original cars the are above the ledge where the export braces bolt are body color. My was body color and I painted it black because this is what I was led to believe.
 I would like to know for sure so that I can get it right for once and be done with it. It nice to have a place to come and ask these questions now.

Thanks, Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Under hood question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:14:02 PM »
You posted in another thread that the car you are working on is a March (at Dearborn)  built car.  All of the original cars built at that plant - by that period in time - that I have pictures of  have the cowl section blacked out. The paint was applied over the body color and depending on the condition of the original paint and how it was treated have seen a handful where the black had been wiped, cleaned or even burnt (on wrecks left in the sun) away

From what I;ve seen it appears that the non black or blacked out was a running change that took place at Dearborn before your  car was assembled.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mach1one

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:59:04 PM »
I have a original paint shelby bd 3/4/69 that the cowl area in question is body color.

Offline Keithc8

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:11:33 PM »
 My car was built March 7th. It is black now and I do not know if I need to change it. If I leave it black do you think I will get deducted for it.

Thanks, Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »
My car was built March 7th. It is black now and I do not know if I need to change it. If I leave it black do you think I will get deducted for it.

I would not deduct for a car with that build date - nor would I instruct a team to do so.  If you had an early car then it would be a different answer IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)