Author Topic: Looking For Original Cover Rivets  (Read 8086 times)

Offline lscman

Looking For Original Cover Rivets
« on: October 07, 2013, 07:42:34 AM »
Does anyone have a source for the original style front bumper cover rivets as the originals had raised rings on them and the junk you buy now is smooth?Looking to make it look original like the factory?

Offline bluemax

Re: Looking For Original Cover Rivets
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »
I have wondered if you could take one of the newer style rivets and have the heads turned in a lathe to "create" the original "look". The rivit could then be re-phosphated. Just a thought.

I don't have any of the original's left to compare. If I did, I would try it.

Offline lscman

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
Certainly a thought but way too much trouble to go to for some ole Mustang that isn't worth much....What happened to all the overstock that Ford had is what I'm wondering but haven't heard too many people ask about these rivets and I wonder why?Is no one noticing the junk they sell now doesn't look like the original?

Offline bluemax

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:31:13 AM »
I have several boxes of NOS rivets and they are all of the newer style (no ribs). I would not call them "junk", just not assembly line or "concours" correct.

I can only assume that Ford changed suppliers or the oem changed their process.

As far as "trouble", that is for you to decide. Some people go the extra mile to pefect the small details such as this. I will admit, that at this time, the later model cars are not being restored to the level of detail as the early models are.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »
I've had good luck with Hanson Rivets http://www.hansonrivet.com/ and J-C Sales http://www.rivetsinstock.com/
Check out their current on-line catalogs and then make a call. You would be surprised what you can accomplish on the phone. Many times they will supply small quantities of samples if you ask. The other surprise is how many of the salespeople have had Mustangs.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline lscman

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 12:19:22 PM »
jwc66k Thanks for the info will check them out....As far as taking a 3/16 rivet and turning a bunch as I believe there are 6 lines in them you would never be able to hold and do them in any precise manner and as anal as most people are who restore and judge these cars they would probably find something wrong with them.On the other hand if you have DEEP pockets then I certainly believe they could be done which leaves me out!

Offline 91saleen26

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 10:18:13 PM »
What do you all feel is a fair price on these rivets as a set. I just had them reproduced by the original manufacturer and it was not easy. Trying to find the original supplier was tough seeing that they sold a few times and the company name had changed . I Had to have die sets made to match the originals and original drawings. The die sets are mine and if I well all of them I will produce more I had a good Amoun t produced and would like sell some to help pay for my initial cost.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 03:49:47 PM »
I believe the rivets are anodized aluminum. Machining or die punching them post manufacturing will show up as a defect down the road.  I had many of my friends check they inventory. They all came up with the new style.  I would not be surprised if Ford changed them in 1993.

I will have to add it to my Sema list again.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline bluemax

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 01:19:05 PM »
What do you all feel is a fair price on these rivets as a set. I just had them reproduced by the original manufacturer and it was not easy. Trying to find the original supplier was tough seeing that they sold a few times and the company name had changed . I Had to have die sets made to match the originals and original drawings. The die sets are mine and if I well all of them I will produce more I had a good Amoun t produced and would like sell some to help pay for my initial cost.

I am very interested to see the results. Please post some pictures. If they match the originals, then I would be interested in a set (assuming the cost is reasonable).

Offline KevinK

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 03:27:33 PM »
What size head and shaft are used? I will try to check suppliers at SEMA/Apex.

I see 3/16” dia. Likely large head and about 1 “ long is my guess.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:31:10 PM by KevinK »
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS