Author Topic: More grill area questions  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Keithc8

More grill area questions
« on: February 19, 2010, 02:49:33 AM »
 I have been reading the grill area details and how to paint everything. I was told by Ed Meyers that the back of the lower valance was the fiberglass color with some body color over spray and a little black from the turn signal area getting painted black. The car I am working on has the original Shelby fiberglass part numbers but looks more of a cream white color than the pink color on the 68. Ed said this was right and that the fiberglass was different on these two cars. I understand that the tape line on the inside of the fenders where the grey paint ended at the top was at an angle. How do we know where to start the grey paint and end it on the sides of the head light buckets is what I guess I am trying to figure out.

Thanks, Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: More grill area questions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:28:45 PM »
........................... I understand that the tape line on the inside of the fenders where the grey paint ended at the top was at an angle. How do we know where to start the grey paint and end it on the sides of the head light buckets is what I guess I am trying to figure out.

Don't know (if I understand what your looking for ) that the gray "stops or starts" on the sides of the headlight buckets. From the "line"  you mention  down to the grill and stone guard.  across. up the inner surface of the other head light and up to the other line is my understanding.  Been working on (with Bob G's helpful guidance and review) trying to get it all described in words and mate that up with pictures of going through the steps with a front end together on a jig - similar to what was done at the factory.  But takes time.

I understood that the back side of the front valance was more of a black out than just some over spray from the turn indicators. This would be over any overspray from the grill and headlight gray application
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:30:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Keithc8

Re: More grill area questions
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 02:23:19 AM »
 Jeff thanks for trying to help me with these questions. I need to look at a car done right and then I will have a better ideal. The car that I have has the lower valance blacked out when I got it but it had been repainted once.  Just trying to get this all right the first time.
 This stuff will drive you crazy if you let it.

Thanks, Keith