Author Topic: Proof that the 67-68 Repop Firewall Pad is Junk  (Read 11131 times)

Offline sparky65

Proof that the 67-68 Repop Firewall Pad is Junk
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
I had read that all firewall pads are reproduced poorly.  I had no idea how bad they were and with most people saying the expensive one wasn't worth the extra $100 I figured I would try to make the cheap one work.

Well here are some pictures for everyone else to make there own decisions from.  I bought it from NPD but it looks like it is manufactured by Repops with part number M271.  The pad is probably 2 inches too short.  If you line everything up on the right side of the steering column the left side won't line up.  You almost have to cut it at the steering column and add the 2 inches in there.  Unless they were originally two pieces which I cant tell since I only had the right side of the pad.  The problem is there is no extra material to work with. So you cant add a piece in the middle or by the heater box were it is cut square instead of rounded.

I don't really know how I want to proceed. 
1. Cut it at the steering column and use it as is without filling in the holes.  The wrong cut at the heater box is going to be obvious though. 

2. Return it to NPD and:
  • Buy one from Mustangs Unlimited which looks like it may have the right cut out around the heater fan and also looks like it has material left in the cutouts that could be use as patches if this one ends up short
  • Look for a decent used one.  This would probably significantly delay my progress and probably be out of my budget.
  • Find the material and make my own.  I mean how hard can I be to cut some holes in the right spot on a big sheet of this stuff?  In order to do that I would need to guess on what the left side is supposed to look like though since I don't have that piece.  I think I can buy the backing and just spray it with undercoating.  Don't know which undercoating though since it would have to stay very flexible long enough to install.

Any thoughts, comments, ideas.  Especially on the last option of making your own.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Sunlitgold68

Re: Proof that the 67-68 Repop Firewall Pad is Junk
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:02:03 PM »
I think you could find a used one somewhere, it might take a day at the salvage yard but even a repaired worn original would be better than the reproductions.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 04:17:16 PM »
I know it's old info but I bought one from SSNAKE Oil, 20 years ago when I restored my 65 conv. and it looked exactly like the original and fit just as well too.  I would suspect that they sell the same product now.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:31:29 PM »
On a related note, any reviews on new metal firewall mat clips available from several sources?  I'm hoping to reuse my pad, but the clips are no good.  thanks.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 11:24:39 PM »
I think you could find a used one somewhere, it might take a day at the salvage yard but even a repaired worn original would be better than the reproductions.

I'm looking but haven't found any salvage yards around here that have a 67 mustang.  Its also a difficult thing to get out unless the car is mostly gutted already.  I also don't think I ever recall seeing anyone selling used firewall pads either.  Kind of surprising considering how poor the repros are.

I know it's old info but I bought one from SSNAKE Oil, 20 years ago when I restored my 65 conv. and it looked exactly like the original and fit just as well too.  I would suspect that they sell the same product now.

They don't list it anymore on the website but I will try calling Monday to see what i can find out.  Maybe they have a leftover one sitting in the corner.

On a related note, any reviews on new metal firewall mat clips available from several sources?  I'm hoping to reuse my pad, but the clips are no good.  thanks.
I picked up the metal clips.  Ill try to post a picture of them tomorrow if I remember.  They look reasonably close as far as I remember how the old ones looked but I can't compare them side by side.  Of course I haven't tried to install them either.  I think I read some where that there are two diffrent types of metal clips as well.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline sparky65

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:30:15 PM »

Here is the firewall pad retainer clip I got.  Its actually made by Dennis Carpenter.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
Is that plated in zinc dichromate?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 02:12:52 PM »
I had the same problem with my 69 R code I am restoring, I have a reproduction pad from REPOPS and when I opened up the box it looked more like a carpet jute pad out of LEXUS than a fire wall pad for a 69 MUSTANG. I was able to repair my original pad that had some tears and cuts and a few small pieces missing. I used a two part 3M flexible seam sealer to bridge some of the missing or torn pieces. I laid the pad out on a table and used masking tape to bridge some of the small pieces together then filled it in with the seam sealer. When the seam sealer cured (about 15 minutes) I flipped the pad over and filled in the repair with 3M undercoating, let it dry for a while and sprayed a light coat over the entire pad to make it uniform, let it dry and then used some SEMS trim black aerosol paint to make it look correct. It came out pretty good and the repaired areas will never really show up after the dash is installed. It certainly is better than a dead wrong  reproduction. Why can't someone reproduce these pads correctly? it can't be that hard. The most frustrating part of this hobby is the junk reproduction parts.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 02:19:19 PM »
Steve, if you don't have any luck finding one let me know,
there are a few salvage yards here that have 67's and I
might be able to find you a used one.

Are they different on a A/C car?
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »
Cars with A/C will have a different firewall pad. I know the 68's are different so I am assuming the 67's would also be different too. l
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline sparky65

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »

I don't think so.  I think it is some type of plating since it doesn't seem to scratch off like paint.  It is a dark plating which is very shiny.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »

IMHO the ones I've always removed appear to be more of a phosphate color - in the areas  protected from the elements. Basically a dark chalky or can be shinny (with a little rubbing) dark gray to blackish
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sparky65

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 12:00:21 AM »
Guys check out the price on this used firewall pad. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-1968-COUGAR-XR7-GT-FoMoCo-FIREWALL-INSULATION-PAD_W0QQitemZ200313112349QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea397871d  Its insane but considering the junky repros I guess some one may pay it.

I haven't located a used one in good enough condition yet but I am seriously considering making my own.  Does anyone know how thick the original was?
Also those that splatter the undercoating onto the pads.  What brand/type did you use that remained flexible enough to install without getting that crackled look?  Or do you apply the undercoating with a roller after the bad is installed?
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 12:48:31 AM »
Guys check out the price on this used firewall pad........................................

Have seen plenty go for $250 at least for nice ones - Doesn't look like the one in the ad is all that great IMHO

I haven't located a used one
Also those that splatter the undercoating onto the pads.  What brand/type did you use that remained flexible enough to install without getting that crackled look?  Or do you apply the undercoating with a roller after the bad is installed?

To add texture (Dearborn and NJ style pads) to the reproductions (guess this could be used to hide a repair) I used Bondo brand, pushed the nozzle down slightly so the stuff would sputter, creating the dots, drips and clumps rather than a spray. Rained down the results from 4 foot above the pad.   Was pretty happy ( especially considering the options)  with the results
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:40:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 09:27:09 AM »
You will probably have to pay $250 to $300 for a good reusable firewall pad. It's well worth the money though!

Here is a 1968 OEM Firewall pad I restored, before and after photos. Charles offered the restoration tips, I did not use any undercoating. Cleaned with mineral spirits, toothbrush and sprayed with black vinyl satin dye. It turned out nice and looks brand new.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:36:00 AM by Sunlitgold68 »
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968