Author Topic: How is your garage/shop organized?  (Read 9243 times)

Offline C5ZZ

How is your garage/shop organized?
« on: February 20, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »
I just need a bigger garage, that's all there is to it!
My 65 fastback is up on jack stands and when I get
a chance to work on it I have to basicly remove boxes
of spare parts from around it, under it and in it! I have
shelves above the garage doors, along the wall etc and
still don't have enough room. My problem is that I like
to hit the swap meets and local salvage yards and always
end up bringing something home!

How do you have your garage organized, any creative ideas
on storage?
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: How is your garage/shop organized?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 03:38:58 PM »
5F09C331248

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 05:37:09 PM »
Unfortunatly - it sounds like you just don't have the room !  (Sounds like it is a small one car , part of an older house)

Since I get no closet space in the bedroom, nor can use one of the bathrooms for guests....the garage is mine !   NOTE: I keep all lawn garden tractor/equiptment in a shed.  (Smells and space concerns)

I'm a big believer in shelves !  BUT if you have them and they are filled - then not much to offer.
Now if it a matter of 'poor use" of space - then you have options !

It's funny I have seen SO MANY that get thier garage cluttered from day one of moving in!  NOTE: On moving in 6 years ago - I closed the garage door and said to the movers " can't put anything in it" !

Organization is a art !  I have organized 6 friends garages in the last 20 years.  Mostly from getting tired of working in clutter !   It takes investment of time and money.  But it also needs to be creative in space thinking.  NOTE:  Build shelves around/over stationary fixtures. (Air compressors , etc)

Get stuff UP !

The amazing thing is no matter how much room you have - you can and will fill it !   I didn't think that was the case , but it seems it always happens ! 

Mark
P.S.  One thing that can help and is cheap (free) ! Commit to "NOT MOVE SOMETHING TWICE" ! If you have parts for car (you have acumulated) - put them on the car!  AND throwaway trash , junk and the used stuff that no one wants !
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:06:38 PM »
Because of this crazy hobby of mine, [I also like to snoop at swap meets and clean out other folks garages], the wife said No car stuff in the house. Answer was to move to the country and build the shop I wanted,[100'x40']. Shortly after I finished it, my friend did the same thing, but added a basement the same size as the upper level. He keeps the air compressor, parts washer, sand blast cabinet, shelves for all his parts, has a lift that he can lower engines and any thing heavy down with all threw a trap door in the floor. On the ground level he has his work area with a collapsable paint booth for doing parts in that folds away when not being used. and did up the other half of the main floor as a show room for his finished cars.   Here is what my shop looks like, just wished I did the basement thing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:13:49 PM by thefordshow »

Offline Randyfastback65

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
My garage is more showroom than work shop, but it got too crowded last fall when I added the 66 coupe to the stable, Now I have to move one car or the other out if I want to do any project where I need the floor space.   

Randy,
'65 owner for 41 years

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »
I have a three bay garage, 30' x 36', and am running out of room. 

I use the center bay (with the lift) when I need the use of a lift; otherwise, it stores the utility trailer which doubles as a work bench and temporary storage.  It's easy to maneuver outside when needed.

When I am working on the workbench, my DD is too close to the bench, so it moves outdoors.  Then I have a good 20x10 work floor to lay out parts, wires, and whatever when I work on wiring harnesses.

So far, having two possible bays to work on projects seems to be adequate.  I haven't done sheet metal work in quite some time; that is what takes a lot of room (welding slag, grinding dust, etc.)

I have two storage rooms, and they are jammed pack!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bill Cabaniss

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »
 When I was a teenager I had to make car repairs in a driveway. I always said that if I only had a 2 stall garage I would be happy. When I married we bought a new house with that 2 stall garage. I was in heaven, at least for a few years. Then I started saying, if I had just 2 more stalls. So I bumped that shop back for 2 more stalls. Wow, I  had a 4 stall shop. What else could I ask for. You guessed it. In a few more years I said, if I just had 2 more stalls. Sooo, I went out back and built 3 more stalls giving me 7 with attic storage. What else could I ask for, right!! It is starting to get really crowded around here. If I just had 2 more stalls!!!
Highland green 68 GT fastback/concours driven since 2000. 8f02j - 1-23-68
raven black 66 coupe/concours driven since 1991.6f07c- 5-14-66
rangoon red 65 Mustang JR. go-cart serial#02. not driven much.
Still drive them to the nationals/they do clean up! 
Gold card judge for 67-68 concours class.

Offline sparky65

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 02:16:19 PM »

How do you have your garage organized, any creative ideas
on storage?

Well I know I am not organized.  A few weeks ago I was looking through my parts and spotted the firewall seal for the steering column.  A few days later I thouht I should get that seal cleaned up.  Must have spent the next 3 days trying to figure out which box i found it in a few days earlier.

I recently moved to my own garage after working at my parents house.  At my parents house i had parts stored every where there was space.  I had boxes in the attic, my room, basement, and two sheds besides packed around the car in the garage.  Moving obviously didn't help since now I still have some parts at my parents house and the rest spread all over mine. 
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline ajd350

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:53:26 PM »
Like a Tetris game. I have ten pounds of stuff in a five-pound garage. I never knew how much space a TOTALLY disassembled '66 convertible took up until last winter. If not for lots of shelving and cabinets of drawers it would be impossible to keep things straight. I also have stacking plastic tote trays bought at the flea market. Stacked on top of caster dollies they can be moved easily and stacked six feet high.
MCA #2254

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »
When I responded the first time I didn't go into SPACE SAVINGS (use of casters, trolleys etc)

Here are my shelves on a rail system.  It allows 5 to fit in the space of 10. 

Has this been any help?
Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969