Author Topic: Interior paint code  (Read 3766 times)

Offline resto66

Interior paint code
« on: February 23, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »
I have a 66 coupe with standard interior with trim code 22, light blue irid.  "How to restore your mustang" shows the paint code as R/M 5748.  What is the comparable Dupont or PPG number and are there any special mix instructions.  Thanks.

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: Interior paint code
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »
I have a 66 Metuchen Conv. with 22 interior code.  I took one of the interior quarter trim panels off, and some of the factory paint overspray was pretty heavy on the back of it.
I took it to my local paint jobber and they manually matched it.  Then they gave me a cardboard "sprayout card" on which I am suppose to spray 3 good coats of the paint that they manually matched.   They will then use their spectrophotometer to print out the formula and that formula will be easy to repeat.

The blue color on the back of the parts had never been exposed to light and I feel it was a very accurate sample of the original factory color/metallic flake content and size/gloss.

Well...I did get the manually matched batch.  I have not taken the spray out card back.  I WILL TELL YOU,  THEY MATCHED IT PERFECTLY.  I will post the formula for you as soon as they have it.  They talked me into using the PPG base coat/clear coat product but without the clear top coat and no catylist.
That's basically just like old fashioned laquer for all practical purposes.  When I did it, the level of gloss seemed to be perfect for my dash and door inside surfaces.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline resto66

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:23:28 PM »
Thanks for the input. I would appreciate the formula when you get it.  My car is also a Metuchen built coupe, nightmist blue, std blu interior, Jan 27 buck date, DSO 21, 2.80 axle, std 3 speed trans with the C code engine.

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:17:54 AM »
Will-Do!  It will probably be this weekend.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 06:57:44 PM »
Resto66,

Here's your 22 interior paint formula.
It uses PPG nubers.
It's Global whatever that means.
It's Base/clear  type paint without using clear and without catalyst.
It perfectly matched the backside of my metal quarter trim pieces where no light has ever got to.

Bryan
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
Underbelly paint code
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:06:34 PM »
Don't know if it would be accurate for you since our cars are a few months apart, but I had them shoot the flat brown color of the underneath of my car, with their spectrophotometer (X-Rite .Profit II Machine)

Everybody used to think this was red oxide primer but, If I understand right, it's is now known that it is a muddy brown color of waste paint that the factory was constantly using and contributing to.  I guess the color actually fluctuated on any given day.

Here's the formula# they created today for mine and I'll post a scan of the spray-out card as son as I do it tomorrow.

Don't trust my scanner much.  It is a $15.00 unit!

Bryan
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Underbelly paint code
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:25:28 PM »

Everybody used to think this was red oxide primer but, If I understand right, it's is now known that it is a muddy brown color of waste paint that the factory was constantly using and contributing to.  I guess the color actually fluctuated on any given day.

"waste paint"  - not at NJ or San Jose in 66. That was a red oxide (different tones and tints have been documented but all fairly close to one another so far) epoxy primer. Never seen a flat one yet as, originals once cleaned all had a smooth fairly shinny to semi-gloss finish.

The "waste paint" refers to what we now often call batch paint a mixture of left over paints and possibly some epoxy primer base that often produced a dark gray with a glue or green tint.  Used on and off at Dearborn in the 64-66 period.

Here is a 66 NJ original example I cleaned and took photos of before ti was torn down and repainted

Front frame rails were a (darker in this example) tone as we would expect. Not always the darker of the too - just a slightly different color.

Hope this helps -though we're getting off topic a bit

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 08:31:01 PM »
Thanks Mr. Jeff for the educaion.
I don't choose my words well enough.  Mine is not "flat" and the mixed paint I got matches the gloss level of the epoxy primer pretty well.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int