Author Topic: SAAC 39 judging etiquette  (Read 4401 times)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: SAAC 39 judging etiquette
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
Dave (Carguy),
Thank you coming on and offering the truth. You may be new to the Shelby world but your integrity, honor and taking responsibility are noble, honorable and an example for many to follow. It was a pleasure to meet you an and honor to judge your car.
Tim
I was on the team as well as 3 others and myself and 2 of the others are well known and recognizable. Not sure why the "don't know who they were " comment was made. The car owners explanation was exactly how it happened. I turned around and he had already placed the covers on the fenders. Although I wouldn't have done that it was a extremely kind gesture on his part, As for the elbows, arms comments I cannot nor will not address it as i dont know what the poster supposedly saw. I would only say that it would be very out of character if anything excessive was done.
We did 3 Div 1 (thoroughbred) cars that weekend and all 3 owners/restorers were incredibly nice, helpful and appreciative of the way their cars were judged. 2 of them thanked me at the show personally for the way their cars were judged professionally and another (restorer) called me Sunday to say it was one of the most "thorough but fair" judgings he has ever had and he does many Div 1 cars.
I find it a shame that a an event that was a positive one for the club, owners, restorers and judges has to be disparaged in a public light with little facts behind it.

If anyone wishes to discuss this further with me personally, my phone number is the same as it always has been.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 10:43:33 AM »
  Tim,

The person who called this to my attention was another car owner in this class. I saw the judge put the cover on the ground when the engine bay was judged not the undercarriage. It appeared he was looking at something he could not see well from the top side.  The car owner may have offered the judge the fender cover to do the undercarriage later on? Jim (Car owner) was on the other side of the car when this occurred. You were not on the driver side of the car when this took place. I saw you around the car but did not think you were a 67 Judge? You were not laying on the car like the other fellas. I did not recognize the 2 on the drivers side but have since been informed who they are. The other car owner has pictures on phone. One other thing Div.1 is not Thoroughbred, different club different standards. If you would like to discuss this further as well as your attitude you have my #. See you in Springfield?, no fender covers allowed.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »
Bob, car owners name is Dave.
As far as further discussing and my attitude I would suggest it is never prudent to judge a person's attitude by computer. My reply was my recollection of the truth and my subsequent opinion of the interpretation of it.
I will not discuss this anymore on a public forum as I suspect there are under lying agendas involved (my opinion)
I stand corrected in my assessment that SAAC Div 1 and MCA thoroughbred are equal. It is obviously apparent they are not
Have a nice day
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Coralsnake

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »
Certainly, no one would say leaning on a car (or touching it in my opinion) is acceptable. I guess its probably best to have the specific organization and owners police that. Hopefully, what Bob saw was not as severe as described.

There are a lot of problems with judging in all organizations.

The cars at SAAC 39 were the best collection of restored cars I have seen shown. Mr Brewer's cars were exceptional. I am glad he brought them.  He is obviously an experienced owner.

I seem to recall MCA having several problems as well, but I dont think anyone wants to go there. Tearing down any one of these organizations, does not elevate the others.

Based on my experiences, SAAC would welcome any suggestions to make the experience better for all involved, even if it came from someone outside the judging teams.

;)

Pete Disher, SAAC 39 - 1968 judging team
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:02:40 PM by Coralsnake »