Author Topic: '66 Fastback Roofrail weatherstrip: Retaining tabs or not?  (Read 8981 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'66 Fastback Roofrail weatherstrip: Retaining tabs or not?
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:21:15 PM »
I recently purchased an entire reproduction weatherstrip kit from CJ Pony Parts for my '66 fastback.  As I was installing the roofrail weatherstrip, I noticed that it had two small metal retaining strips at the front of each weatherstrip.  The kit also came with two small stainless screws.  However, I don't remember the original Ford weatherstrip having these retainer strips; it simply glued into the stainless weatherstrip channel, and the front ends glued into place, at least from what I remember.  Also, I don't have any holes for these stainless screws, nor do I think they were ever there originally--at least, I know we didn't accidentally fill these holes during bodywork.

What am I missing?  Is my weatherstrip incorrect, or is my memory playing tricks on me?  Of course, my original weatherstrip was tossed in the trash several months ago.  Was this perhaps a mid-year change (my car was built in December 1965).
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline cobraboy

Re: '66 Fastback Roofrail weatherstrip: Retaining tabs or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
I just read this. I too have the metal tabs, but they are not screwed to the door pillar, and there are no holes for them.
What gives ? does anyone have a pic of what they should be like.
Mine is a 13R '65 Dearborn FB
Thanks
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:32:12 AM »
If the weatherstrip had the small metal end on it and its original IMHO Ford expected it to be used (never seen stainless steel screws used for that application) Seen them missed before on original cars but if I was restoring the car I would replace them as designed rather than run the risk of a judge deducting for them or having to tell the story every time you showed it

Now what you might have is an example of a worker mistake. Don't believe this practice (or mistake) is related to only fastbacks. Taking a picture of this area often produces the screw being hidden my the large rubber end of the weatherstrip but will lool
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 04:22:56 AM »
Jeff
That is the tag in the pic, Do you have a pic of the install ? as cannot figure out what part of the door pillar the tag screws to.
What type of screw was used ?
From what you are saying you would rather drill holes and fix the tabs even if your car had no holes - correct?
Thanks
Mark

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:31:43 AM »
If your car did not have the holes, don't drill them.  The tabs in the weatherstrip can be cut/pulled out.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 01:22:08 PM »
If your car did not have the holes, don't drill them.  The tabs in the weatherstrip can be cut/pulled out.

So you've found that some 66 weatherstrip didn't have the tabs originally?
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »
So you've found that some 66 weatherstrip didn't have the tabs originally?

That wasn't what I meant in my post.  I have no idea when the screws were added.  All I suggested was that if the holes were not there, don't drill them.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 04:23:27 AM »
Ok so is it good to glue the strip in place?.
I ask as the last 3" or so is just flapping around . The profile of the door pillar at that point makes it dificult for me to figure out how it sits to make the seal work and 1965 Mustangs with OEM  door seal setups are a little thin on the ground where I live  :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 02:56:10 PM »
Ok so is it good to glue the strip in place?.
I ask as the last 3" or so is just flapping around . The profile of the door pillar at that point makes it dificult for me to figure out how it sits to make the seal work ..............

The "flapping around" is the results of having a new somewhat flexible seal and no screw.

Never glued mine in (that particular seal), guess you could  but it would not be original for the detailing of that end
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 05:43:51 PM »
The seal is original, has never been screwed,, do you have a pic of one in place with a screw in ?
Thanks

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
This is a very late June 65 San Jose production 1965 Fastback.  It's not a great picture, but hopefully you can tell what is going on here.  There is no tab on the weatherstrip, yet there is a screw running through the weatherstrip holding it in place.  Both LH and RH sides are the same.  Weatherstripping and screws appear to be original to the car.

The screw used looks like these.  This type of screw was used for some rear valances, conv. well liners and the roof rail molding.

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 04:52:38 AM »
Thank you Brant
Thats what I was after.
 I see that the weatherstrip has been turned so the bumper on the end faces the rear of the car.
Also the screw would be screwed into the door pillar  pointing in toward the dashboard.
I am now undecided as to put a screw in or not, the strip had a tab and was intended to be fixed, the door seal is not working as it should and is one of the sources of wind roar.
Obviously the line worker did not have time / could not be bothered to fix at the time , but the srtip has been like it for 45 years .
I may try glue first, if it holds great.
Ok thanks to all, apologies to Drummingrocks for taking up so much of your thread.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:16:42 PM by cobraboy »

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 08:44:23 PM »

Ok thanks to all, apologies to Drummingrocks for taking up so much of your thread.

No problem!  I'm interested in any information surrounding these cars, so it doesn't bother me a bit!
Too much junk, too little time.