1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

1967 deluxe steering wheel

(1/6) > >>

7R02A:
Hello all,
I am trying to determine if I should restore my 67 deluxe steering wheel or purchase a reproduction.  I searched this site and found topics on the 65 and 66's, but not the 67's.  The questions are:
1.  Is the reproductions actuate and quality pieces?
2.  If I restore my original, who is the best company to do this?  Any idea on cost?

I am also missing the lower collar for my wheel and I have tilt steering.  I have been told that the collar is different between tilt and non tilt.  Dose anyone have a picture of both so I can see what it is I am looking for?

Thanks for any help in advace,
John

drummingrocks:
John,

I had the original deluxe wheel in my '66 fastback restored.  I don't have the company name on me at the moment, but the cost was $1100 back in 2009, give or take a little.  The rim had several cracks and the hub was rechromed.  In retrospect, start with the best wheel you can find if you want to have an original redone.  I think a lot of my cost went into having the chrome redone. 

ruppstang:
I have used the reproduction on a customer's car and it was very nice. I had mine restored in 2008 and I think it cost $650 It was really good. I guess in the end it is all in how much you want to pay and how good it needs to be.
Marty

7R02A:
Thanks to all that replied.  I'm still interested if anyone can tell me the differences between standard and deluxe lower collars or would have pictures for a car with tilt steering?
Thanks again.

67gta289:
I don't see any differences myself.  The second photo wheel on the bottom is from the tilt column in the picture, the one on the top is not, but I'm not 100
% sure of that.

Note that the center crash pad for the wood wheel is different (deeper) than the standard wheel.  I posted a picture comparing this in a previous post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version