Author Topic: My 1993 Feature Car 'Resto' thread - YELANOR  (Read 11832 times)

Offline KevinMac

My 1993 Feature Car 'Resto' thread - YELANOR
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »
Hi All,

I just dropped a thread in the General Discussion area introducing myself a bit but I imagine I'll be spending quite a bit of time in this forum as I begin work on bringing my 93 Feature Car back to original. I bought the car 7 years ago and have a bit of a story as to why and how. I had graduated from college in 1993 and being fresh out of school and embarking on my first real job, I had $0. But, I had fallen in love with the Feature Car at my local dealership. As I established myself a bit better financially, the option of finding one of these cars became a reality. THE day I finally paid off my student loans, I searched the internet, finding what is now my car. I live in the Detroit metro area and the car was in Orlando. Sight unseen, with the exception of a boatload of photos, my buddy and I flew to FL to go over the car. It was everything that was described...in very good condition. The guy who flew down with me could easily pass the MCA judging test so I relied on him heavily for his expertise. We signed the paperwork with the dealer offering the car and it was mine. The final piece, and what I thought was great, is that the car was originally a Michigan car, so I was able to bring her home!  ;D

As mentioned, its a 93 Feature, one of 1503 built. It is a 5.0L with the automatic. When purchased, she had on 17,322 miles and today sits with just 19,215 on the clock.  8) The previous owner made some questionable changes in my opinion and I now have the task and challenge of reversing them! Items that need/needed addressing that I have found so farinclude the following but I'm sure there will more.  ::)

- Removal of the aftermarket alarm system - Complete
- Replacement of the wear items with original parts (serp belt, oil filter, spark plugs, air filter) - Complete
- Elimination of aftermarket tires for OEM Michelin's - Found a set!!
- Replacement of the aftermarket battery - Complete
- Replacement of the H pipe Part obtained, winter project!!
- Replace missing air silencer - Complete
- Removal of the aftermarket stereo head unit and CD changer - Complete

With that, then comes other stuff that doesn't meet my expectation when it comes to something I'd be happy to show. As an example, since the radio was replaced, I am now shopping for a new console as mine now has those (4) screw holes in it.  ::) (Found a mint one!)

So where do I plan to go with it? I'm not sure, I'd love to hear some feedback from you all! My initial thought would be to show it in the Unrestored class with the hope of someday taking it to the Thoroughbred class. Being new to the game, I'm still trying to understand how "detailed" the judging in these classes is and better understand what is and isn't allowed from a part replacement/restoration standpoint. I downloaded the class rules from MCA and have gone through those, I think next is to get to some shows and see first hand for myself. Knowing the direction I'd like to head, if you disagree with something I'm planning and/or have done, please let me know. I can take constructive criticism!  ;)

Thanks for reading and here are a few shots of Yelanor!  8)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:01:48 AM by KevinMac »
- 1969 Mustang Coupe #1 - spent 2 years on body work only to be rear ended and having it totaled on the way to the paint shop :(
- 1969 Mustang Coupe #2 - Sold in 2006
- 1993 Mustang Feature Car - In process
- 1994 Ford Lightning - Sold in 2004
- 1994 Mustang GT - runs low 9's at 148mph :)

Offline 79mustangcobra

Re: My 1993 Feature Car 'Resto' thread - YELANOR
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »
Nice Feature Car!  Good job for restoring this!

Here is some good info

https://www.triplewhitefox.com/mustang/1993-feature-mustang-faq
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:41:25 AM by 79mustangcobra »
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline KevinMac

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »
Nice Feature Car!  Good job for restoring this!

Here is some good info

https://www.triplewhitefox.com/mustang/1993-feature-mustang-faq

Great site there, I've been a member for a few years! Side note, there are 2 low mileage feature cars for sale on eBay right now. There is a 10,000 mile car that's been bid up to $15,000 and a 2,500 mile car that's up to $19,000!!! Neither have hit reserve yet but it's nice to see Fox bodies start getting some love!
- 1969 Mustang Coupe #1 - spent 2 years on body work only to be rear ended and having it totaled on the way to the paint shop :(

Offline KevinMac

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »
I truly do love me some eBay and the internet as a whole!  8)

In the last 2 weeks I've procured the following from various websites, friends and fellow car club members. I've got to say, I'm quite happy with the small pile of parts starting to take form. There are still many to find though, it's like a big scavenger hunt trying to find date correct parts that are in good condition.  :o

- May 1993 "dated" Air Intake Silencer; I'm quite proud of that score!

- Embossed Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter

- JK6-911 serpentine belt
- ASF-42C spark plugs
- FA-1042 air filter

- 1993 Mustang Dealership brochure - mint condition

- (4) NOS chrome pony wheel center caps

- 1993 "dated" plug wires with wire dividers (the wires were a mess but with a bunch of Simple Green and some elbow grease they cleaned up OK. It was a fine line between cleaning them and rubbing off the printing though!!)
- Original 1993 distributor cap

- NOS "Premium Sound" radio face plate

What I knew was that a guy in my local car club has worked the parts counter at a dealership for about 20 years. What I didn't know is that he's been hoarding Fox parts as they began going obsolete. We got to talking and he now has a small shopping list of things I'm looking for so I am hoping to have a bunch more parts in the next 1-2 weeks when I see him at the Woodward Cruise!  ;)

Stay tuned!

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
Glad you're finding the parts you need.  I never realized Ford serviced just the radio faceplate by itself.  I need to see if I can track down a replacement faceplate for my '90 7-UP.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 10:47:53 AM »
You hardly never go wrong with correct parts!  Great find on the date coded wires.  Each year they will get tougher to find.
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Offline KevinMac

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:45:16 PM »
Glad you're finding the parts you need.  I never realized Ford serviced just the radio faceplate by itself.  I need to see if I can track down a replacement faceplate for my '90 7-UP.

There are a couple sellers of the faceplates on eBay. Try searching "NOS ford radio" and it will bring them up, along with full radios. Hope that helps!

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 09:20:28 AM »
There are a couple sellers of the faceplates on eBay. Try searching "NOS ford radio" and it will bring them up, along with full radios. Hope that helps!

Thanks!  I looked early this morning and went through all the results "NOS ford radio" brought up.  The only thing I found was the '93 and up faceplates.  :(  The only thing I saw was an entire NOS radio.  Maybe Ford didn't service the faceplates separately until '93 or so?  The search goes on...   :)
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline foxylady

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »
Very nice car!!!!!   It seems like you are have  lots of luck with the parts.    I also have a 93 yellow feature car but it has about 120k miles on it.
Amy
1979 ghia hatch
1979 ghia coupe
1984 t top coupe
1993 feature conv

Offline KevinMac

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »
Very nice car!!!!!   It seems like you are have  lots of luck with the parts.    I also have a 93 yellow feature car but it has about 120k miles on it.

Who cares how many miles so long as you enjoy it!  8)

I'm quite curious exactly how many are left out there.  ???

Offline KevinMac

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »
The parts hunt continues! Success has recently been found on the following:

- (1) Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 in the correct 225/55ZR16, 75% tread left...I still need 3 more!!!

- 1993 Wiper Motor Cover (upgrade as mine was cracked. This one isn't pristine but is better than what I had as I continue to look)

- Convertible Boot Bag (another upgrade to my existing one)

- NOS Drivers Side Window Switch (upgrade as mine was missing some paint on one of the buttons)

- 1993 Audio System Demonstration Cassette

- 1993 Ford Dealers 'Source Book'
This is an interesting piece that has all the information the dealership needed to sell a Mustang. It details all the body styles, options and associated pricing. It includes comparisons to the Camaro and why the Mustang is superior. It also has color swatch pages for the exterior and interior. There is a special insert detailing the 1993 Cobra and all the selling points for that vehicle. Plus, I got the book for the trucks too, so I have all the SVT Lightning information as well. The last photo there is a fax (remember those??) that details the release of the...1993 FEATURE CAR and the ordering codes, pricing, etc. If anyone wants more detail on any of the pages, let me know and I can try to scan them to PDF.

Offline KevinMac

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 06:22:20 PM »
Speaking of missing paint on buttons, when I first bought the car I searched and found an original 1993 radio head unit as the previous owner had put an Alpine in it. The one I found worked but the 'REV-ERSE' buttons were well worn. A couple of weeks ago I came across a radio out of an early Taurus that had the same buttons and they were in great shape (below).

I simply used a T10 screwdriver to remove the 4 torx screws (2 per side) and you can easily pull the buttons off. These are now residing of my correct 1993 Mustang radio!  ;)

Offline 92LX

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
NICE FEATURE!
In my opinion--- You are doing WELL by leaving,, getting it back original!

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »
Nice work!  Thanks for posting the pictures!
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Offline KevinMac

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »
TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!  8) 8) 8)

I went to the Detroit Lions game today and they came back to beat the Dolphins in the closing minutes, woohoo!!!

Now, when it comes to things that this board actually cares about, I also scored one of the major missing parts for my car!  ;D 2 hours into our tailgate, I took delivery of a low mileage, 1993 Cobra takeoff h-pipe!!!  8)

A giant THANK YOU to Will from 1993Cobra.com as he and I have been swapping emails for months over this part. He lives down in Indiana, myself in Michigan, but we both travel past each other for business. Finally, the planets aligned and I was able to get the pipe from him. The part is in great condition and I couldn't be happier. It's clean enough that 21 years later, you can actually still read the decal affixed to it (3rd picture).

Add this to the list of things to install this winter. Thanks again Will!!  :)

- 1993 H-Pipe