Author Topic: 67 Ash Tray Finish and Rivet Question  (Read 4724 times)

Offline bwross

67 Ash Tray Finish and Rivet Question
« on: August 16, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »
Greetings all,
On the coupe that I'm refurbishing the ashtray inner assembly (where the lighter resides) and it has been painted and smoke stained over the years.  I'm thinking that originally this area was just the natural metal appearance; can anyone confirm this assumption?

Likewise the actual ashtray; the exterior piece would be the dash color but what about the inner structure where the ashes landed.....natural metal appearance?

thanks,
Bruce
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 09:22:38 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline ruppstang

Re: 67 Ash Tray finish?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 06:51:03 PM »
It was plated silver zinc the same as the inner part that receives it.
marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »
It was plated silver zinc the same as the inner part that receives it.
marty

+1 :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bwross

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:56:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply Marty.  I guess at this point the big question is how do I get the assembly back to looking like it did at the factory?

Bruce

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 11:05:36 PM »
The only way I know is to drill out the rivets and replate  the ashtray. The difficult part is installing the new tubular rivets as it takes a special tool to compress them evenly. There are those on this forum that have that tool. A different option would be to look for a original ash tray from a non smoker and repaint the front to your color.
Good luck Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 11:53:55 PM »
The only way I know is to drill out the rivets and replate  the ashtray. The difficult part is installing the new tubular rivets as it takes a special tool to compress them evenly. There are those on this forum that have that tool. A different option would be to look for a original ash tray from a non smoker and repaint the front to your color.
Good luck Marty
Marty ,you will have to mask off to repaint so in that case if you don't do the re rivet , strip and replate the entire assembly and then mask off and repaint the front.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 08:25:29 AM »
strip and replate the entire assembly and then mask off and repaint the front.

I heard about the "rivet tool" idea before and I liked it (but don't own one) and was planning to go that route. I do have other items that will need to go out for zinc plating already (door latches and other misc. throughout the car) so tossing yet another item in isn't going to cost any more really.

This is another item of knowledge gleaned from the vast knowledge available here. Thanks!

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
Marty ,you will have to mask off to repaint so in that case if you don't do the re rivet , strip and replate the entire assembly and then mask off and repaint the front.
That is a good idea Bob.

Offline bwross

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback and discussion....guess now I'm going to decide how to approach this.  I'm thinking that drilling out the rivets and replacing would look best, but I'm not sure about the cost of the tool.

thanks
Bruce

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »
there is probably someone on here would loan you the tool for a small deposit. i don't have one though.....try a wanted ad.
5F09C331248

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 11:16:50 PM »
I think the tool costs around $250. You have to do a lot of riveting to come out on that one!

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »
I think the tool costs around $250. You have to do a lot of riveting to come out on that one!

Ouch...no kidding, that's an expensive tool unless you're riveting stuff right and left with it!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback and discussion....guess now I'm going to decide how to approach this. I'm thinking that drilling out the rivets and replacing would look best, but I'm not sure about the cost of the tool.

thanks
Bruce
You think correctly. My option was in case you couldn't find a tool to rent or borrow one. The 250-400.00 price tag of buying one for a one or two time use can be hard to swallow.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2023, 08:47:06 PM »
Anyone have a picture or link to what the rivet tool looks like?

1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2023, 09:20:34 PM »
Anyone have a picture or link to what the rivet tool looks like?

Found a few pictures by using the words "rivet tool" in the search feature
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)