Author Topic: securing glass to window trim  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

securing glass to window trim
« on: August 01, 2009, 07:07:31 PM »
My quarter windows and vent windows have the original sealer between the glass and the stainless trim. Some of it is missing and I would think this black material needs replacing before putting the glass back into the frames. Where do you get the black stuff and is this something a glass shop should do or is this very simple?
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: securing glass to window trim
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »
Use to get the strip from the window shops. Now you may need to hunt down one that has been around for a long time since they don't mount many auto windows like that any more.

As far as paying someone or doing it yourself - it's always your choice. There is little I will not do myself but I'm cheap and don't mind messing up a few times in an effort to learn and the reward of being able to say I did that myself.

Doesn't always work out well, of course, and not the path for everyone.

Might be simple - though not easy ;)  Have never done a rear quarter window yet
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 08:07:50 AM »
68 1/4 windows originally used a rubber gasket not tape. If you can clean and reuse the old ones you will be OK. AFAIK no one makes the gaskets but setting tape can be used (vent windows as well)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:15:20 AM »
If i recall correctly NPD sells the glass tape required to mount window glass into the frames.

i have done this many times without to much of a drama. i normally use petrol or metho to soften the glass tape and make it tacky/sticky so it fits within the chanels a little easier. once in place i let it cure then trim of the excess with a sharp nice.

i hope this helps you out.

regards.

PHILL  BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589