Author Topic: Shaker Hood Scoop Appearance  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Bongoman

Shaker Hood Scoop Appearance
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:54:22 PM »
The 69 and 70 shaker hood scoops have 18 or so lines or "fins" running front to back on the top.  I've seen these fins painted black.  I've also seen them where the top of the fin is a silver or a aluminum color.  This could be paint or it could be a brushed aluminum finish where the black paint was removed.

(1) What came stock - black or silver/aluminum?

(2) What is it - paint or brushed metal?

(3) Are the original scoops cast aluminum or magnesium?  I've seen them referred to as both.

(4) Regarding the engine displacement designation, if a car came with a shaker, am I correct to say that the engine size (i.e. "351") was NOT found in the smaller hood stripe that runs next to the larger hood stripe?

If the engine size was not in the stripe, was it always or sometimes on an emblem on the shaker?  I see many Cobra Jets with "428 Cobra Jet" emblems on the shaker but what if it was a 351?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Bongoman
BongoMan

1970 Mustang Mach 1
351c2v
Serial no. 0R05H130405
Built 1/14/70 at San Jose

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Shaker Hood Scoop Appearance
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:35:34 PM »
(1) What came stock - black or silver/aluminum?

The ribs were painted a dull silver

(2) What is it - paint or brushed metal?

Likely originally done with something like an ink roller

(3) Are the original scoops cast aluminum or magnesium?  I've seen them referred to as both.

Never tested one

(4) Regarding the engine displacement designation, if a car came with a shaker, am I correct to say that the engine size (i.e. "351") was NOT found in the smaller hood stripe that runs next to the larger hood stripe?

If the engine size was not in the stripe, was it always or sometimes on an emblem on the shaker?  I see many Cobra Jets with "428 Cobra Jet" emblems on the shaker but what if it was a 351?

We're mixing 69 and 7y0 details I believe
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bongoman

Re: Shaker Hood Scoop Appearance
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:38:53 AM »
Thanks again for great information, Jeff.

Regarding my last question about the engine size being a decal in the stripe, or an emblem on the scoop (or none of the above), I may have mixed 69 and 70.

It is 1970 that I'm most interested in and particularly how Mach 1's with a shaker and a 351 engine came from the factory.  I thought I'd attach some pictures of 1970 Mustangs with shaker hood scoops.  Not all the pictures are Mach 1's. 

In the first pic, you'll see the 428 is a decal in the stripe.  The second, the scoop has a Cobra Jet emblem but no engine size.  In the third, the 351 is a decal and the scoop is bare.  Lastly, in the fourth the scoop has a 351 emblem and there is no decal in the stripe.

So to refine my earlier question, what would a 1970 Mach 1 with a shaker and a 351 look like?

Many thanks.

Bongoman
BongoMan

1970 Mustang Mach 1
351c2v
Serial no. 0R05H130405
Built 1/14/70 at San Jose