Author Topic: Warning - Commonly used products turn deadly??  (Read 3728 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Warning - Commonly used products turn deadly??
« on: August 02, 2009, 01:16:23 AM »
Figured posting here is as good as any place. I want to first note that I normally take every internet warning of "your cars going to explode" and similar warnings with a gallon of salt and common sense, but ran a cross this in a post today and it appears to be a first hand report.

Read it for yourself

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mach514

• Silver Level Subscriber
Re: Warning - Commonly used products turn deadly??
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:25:28 AM »
damn thats some scarry stuff, he's right we become immune to all of the warning labels, can you imagine one whiff of the off gas and your life changes forever ( thats if you survive.)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 02:39:55 PM »
Wow that is EXTREMLY scary . These are products we all use. Jeff I would like to suggest you post this on the SAAC ,Shelby forums well as the VMF and other forums I know you visit  if you haven't already done so. I would hate to see one of our friends /enthusiasts get sand bagged by this very real and close threat.  Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 08:22:50 PM »
Good idea Bob - will post it around and hope others repost to get the info out
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 12:54:14 AM »
That's a real good head's up Jeff. Too many times we trust the products we use to work on and restore our cars, paying little heed to safety precautions. When it comes to chemicals, they can be safe...until we start mixing them or using them as they were NOT intended.

One other common product that produces phosgene gas when heated, freon! It can happen in a most inconspicuous manner. Ever think about where leaking freon goes from under the hood while the engine is running? A portion of it is sucked into the engine, heated through combustion and then comes out the tailpipe...as phosgene. The worse the leak, the higher the concentration that goes into the engine. Bet ya'll never thought about that!  And please, no one tell me it can't happen, been there personally while working at a Ford dealer as a mechanic while younger. Fortunately it was a HUGE service department, it was well ventilated and most folks had gone to lunch (it also wasn't my repair ticket or in my stall! ;) ). Be careful out there folks!!
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD