Author Topic: Re-Dye Arm Rests  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Re-Dye Arm Rests
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:59:04 PM »
Ran across a pair of MINT original arm rests, I compared them to a set of repros I bought and you can see some differences. they are not my color, can you re-dye arm rests with the vinyl dye from NPD or another vendor. It would be nice to have an original pair if possible.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Re-Dye Arm Rests
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 03:26:16 AM »
Yes you can redye them but like everything - preparation means everything. So make sure they are perfectly clean especuially used one which may have a fair amount of crud on them.

Believe there is spray products that can be used to improve the bonding of the dye and the arm rest you might want to look into those products. And as always shot light full coats so that you get full coverage but do not fill up the grain - sort of like the interior panels ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline astat1

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:21:21 PM »
There is an adhesive that is applied in two steps to allow for flex on soft vinyl materials. I have also made sure the paint is warmer than usual so it flows thinner so the graining isn't obscured.

Offline yelostang

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »
Recently dyed some armrests in a 68. Used plain ol' NPD vinyl dye with success. Prep IS important, started by wiping them with liberal quantity of Iso (drugstore) alcohol which takes off any oil from hands. Then, a wash with Dawn detergent. a light scuff with a scotchbrite. Dry with a hair dryer. Just prior to applying dye, wiped them with lacquer thinner and immediately applied a first thin coat. Followed that with light coats-about 3. Used the hairdryer at low speed, keeping it moving, during spraying, as heat stops the applied material from blushing if weather is high humidity. The lacquer thinner and the light scotchbrite, opens the material to promote adhesion.

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:37:56 PM »
Redyed them and they look like a million dollars..... the repros look terrible beside them. I cleaned the originals with paper towels, water and lava soap all mixed together, didn't use any vinyl prep, got the vinyl dye from NPD.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC