Author Topic: 70 Mach1 True Barn Find for sale  (Read 8066 times)

Offline Angela

70 Mach1 True Barn Find for sale
« on: October 29, 2014, 12:59:10 PM »
I am planning to sell my 1970 Mach1 H-code 351 Cleveland, Dearborn car. I decided to first list it here for a short time before I list it on a certain auction site.

This Mach1 is truly one of those "barn finds", which I found approximately 6 years ago in Nebraska, in a barn (honestly). The car had been sitting in a barn, off the road since the late 1980s. I am the 3rd owner and have a clear title in my name.

History: the 2nd owner drove the Mach1 for several years and had plans to eventually "tub" and race the car. He therefore completely disassembled the car in the late 80's, removed what rust had began on the pans, paid for some mild engine service (new rings, new cam and a valve job as far as I know) and stored it away in the family's barn. Fortunately, he never got around to "tubing" or otherwise altering the car and it sat stored away in the barn until I bought it two decades later. The engine still retains it's original belts.

I purchased it when it was still disassembled. I brought it home and "kinda" reassembled it, meaning that I put a couple bolts back into each piece so that I could see what was missing. As you can see in the photos, nothing lines up well, not because it had suffered an accident, but rather because I merely threw fenders/doors/etc on quickly with a couple bolts to see what was missing. As far as I can tell, the car is miraculously missing only two items: (1) the right rear mach1 trim panel and (2) the correct mach1 grille (I have the lights).

The bumpers are NOS (I have the originals) and the front grille, while not correct for a Mach1 is NOS. The rims are original and their dates match the car. All the glass is original except for the windshield which broke during the move. I purchased an NOS windshield which goes with the car.

The numbers on the engine and the transmission match the VIN.

As stated, the car had some rust starting in the 80s when it was taken apart and the 2nd owner did a reasonable job of stopping and correcting it. The rails are solid and the entire engine bay is rust free. The floor pans have had a couple patches installed. The trunk floor has some small holes (pin hole to slightly larger in size) and would need replacement to be show car worthy. I believe there are small holes in the tail light panel as well, behind the honeycomb Mach1 trim.

The engine and transmission are on stands at this time. I never got around to installing them. I cannot speak to the condition of the engine and transmission other than what I mentioned above and to state the previous owner stated the car ran and drove well when disassembled in the 80s. Both the engine and transmission are very clean.

The axle and staggered shocks appear extremely clean and are believed to be original to this car.

I think this car will make an excellent candidate for concours restoration simply because it's never been butchered and retains 98% of its original parts. Is it perfect and totally rust free? No. But IMO it sure is in a lot better shape than most unrestored (but driven) Mach1 I have seen and considered purchasing.

I truly do not know what these cars are worth. I don't want to sell it and thus am not going to give it away, but I also know it isn't a $15k car in its present condition. Please let me know if you have interest in purchasing it, OR if you have more experience with 1970 mustangs and could give me some guidance on fair pricing. Those who know me from this forum know that my area of expertise is the 67-68 cars.

I'm more concerned about selling this car to someone that will do it justice than I am concerned about squeezing out top dollar for it. I also need to out of my shop soon.

Send me a PM if you have interest in this car. Thanks.

Offline Angela

Re: 70 Mach1 True Barn Find for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 04:10:45 PM »
Here are a picture of the Cleveland and the transmission for those who asked for them:

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 12:47:22 PM »
I was asked about the frame rails. Here are a couple pics showing front & rear rails as I was reassembling the car.
Time permitting, she's getting loaded onto a well-known auction site later today.

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:52:10 PM »

eBay item number:  271655533413

Offline Angela

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:28:44 AM »
Ah, the joys of ebay. As a warning to everyone else, my auction listing ended a few hours after I listed it because ebay userid plekkrc pushed the buy it now button and sent me a message indicating he had paid a $500 deposit using paypal.

However, ebay userid plekkrc did NOT actually pay the deposit. Confirmed by paypal security, ebay userid plekkrc used a phishing program to spook paypal and ebay, attempting to retrieve my contact information and the location of this Mach 1. Thankfully, I did not provide such info.

I can (but choose not to at this moment) post the full listed contact info for userid plekkrc

Now I get to go through the fun of trying to contact ebay (their phone lines are down right now... how nice!) and find a way to relist this.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »
PM sent.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:30:01 AM »
What did this person hope to gain?  Do you think they were trying to get into your PayPal account?  I've had some pretty crappy experiences selling stuff on eBay.  you always have to watch your back.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline Angela

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 01:26:26 PM »
Who knows why people do such things... it's just plain wrong. He probably hopes to steal $500 from me, since from ebay's perspective it "looks" like he paid for the item. Paypal confirmed there was no such payment, but ebay's software thinks otherwise. And, of course, ebay won't answer their phones or respond to email. What a headache. I wish I could thank this gentlemen in person.
I'd love to post this person's contact info, but that would be wrong of me and he's probably using false info anyways.

Offline Angela

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 02:30:03 PM »
What a pain. Through discussions with ebay, I have at least been able to cancel the listing, such that it can be relisted. I'm not sure I wish to relist it on ebay, or just sell it through craigslist or similar.

In short, she's back on the market... let me know if you have any interest.

Offline nham3407

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »
Be cautious with Craigslist as well.  There have been several warnings about Craigslist postings leading to break-ins and shootings around our area.  The good old days are just that old days.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 10:28:11 PM »
Do you have a Marti Report for the car? I have been following and may have interest but like to know if it is an original spoiler/slat car. Also what is the history on the paint? Not being able to steer is going to have an affect with regards to freight quotes unfortunately Angela

Thanks
Kerry

Offline Angela

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »
Hi Kerry. Sorry, I don't have a Marti report for my Mach1.... that's something I've always thought I'd get around to ordering, but haven't. The spoiler and rear window louvers came with the car when I bought it; I know a lot about 67/68 Mustangs, not so much about the 69/70s and I tried to be transparent about that when I first listed the car for sale in this forum.... so, it's good you're asking questions. :-) Concerning your question about the paint, I certainly cannot know for sure, but in my humble opinion I suspect the car has had a few areas "touched up" below the pin stripe. Above the pin stripe I'm 99% certain it's original factory paint. Below the pinstripe I suspect some touch-up and/or blending has been done at some point but I cannot really articulate why I think that... just a hunch I guess. In the end, be clear she's not going to be a show car with some color sanding and buffing.... it needs full restoration and a paint job. That said, I actually think it cleans up pretty nice for a relatively original Mach. IMO, it's really hard to find them in this kind of shape anymore.... the pics of the frame rails and unibody tell the tale.... it's remarkably clean.
Thanks for your interest!

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »
Thanks for the additional info. Is the drivers door sticker legible ?
I would like to know that info. If the car has a lot of original paint it must be T code Candy Apple Red as Royal Maroon was not a regular production color for 70 except carry over Shelby's.The pictures make it look like an aftermarket true "candy/burgundy" shade. Worn original paint with chips and blending is fine. No interest in amateur restored cars and this looks like fun.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:11:23 PM by sportyworty »

Offline Angela

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »
I'll look for the sticker this evening and get back to you. All I can say about the color of the paint is that it's the same everywhere... i.e. it's the same color in the recesses of the trunk (and other areas which would have seen overspray in the factory) as it appears elsewhere on the body. It's for that reason that I believe whatever paint-work this Mach 1 may have seen, it's my opinion that they did not deviate from the factory color. You may recall from my original post that I had to put the car back together. As a result, I feel comfortable that I got to see the paint overspray areas and I didn't see any "red flags" that the color had been changed. That said, I've stated several times I'm not very knowledgeable about the 69/70 cars.

What info would I be looking for on the door sticker or elsewhere to know if it was a special paint car? I know my '67 was ordered that way and I can only assume one could have done the same in 1970.

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »
After rust and previous amateur restoration work, the most important thing to me is original color and options. We have the first 2 items handled. I simply want to know what color the car is as the pics are not conclusive. Few obvservations the grille is not Mach 1 with fog lights, do not see the rear valance cut outs for exhaust tips and the hood stripes seem to be outlined on the narrow ones with Gold? By 1970 the previous years drivers door metal tag was replaced with this sticker. I have attached a sample. Note on this particular one that the color is blank thus being a special paint. I am in no way assuming your car is a special paint. Perhaps it is or there will be a letter/number in this space to denote the color. The body code will also show it to be a Mach 1 or standard sportsroof. Just post a good pic of the sticker. It should be there on an original paint car.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:51:24 PM by sportyworty »