Author Topic: OD of mig wire  (Read 2681 times)

Offline rickochet

OD of mig wire
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:22:36 PM »
Here is a tid bit of info that I haven't seen posted before and probably nobody will care anyway. I'm currently restoring 70 Mach and in cleaning out sealer around floor pan I found a piece of mig wire. It appears that the factory was using .035 mig wire. They over shot with about a 4" piece. Should I EBAY this wire? LOL
You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: OD of mig wire
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:22:40 PM »
Interesting.  I believe MIG processes began in earnest in the early 60's, but didn't make widespread use until the later 70's. It really isn't good for mass production, which is why Ford and others use spot welding. 

Could it be that your piece is a remnant from a later repair?  If not, perhaps there was a quality defect down the line and the MIG was used to repair it.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:42:49 PM »
I've seen left over sections still attached to the body also. Think the application was limited it a couple of areas to hold (like the brazing) sections until they were spot welded or areas (think one was the fastback bottom cushion retainers) were spots would not work out
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rickochet

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
It was definetly factory and not repair. Just 2 tacks in area above rear torque box where inner and outer rocker and lock pillar all come together.
You can teach an old dog new tricks!