Author Topic: 70 Boss 302 - Wing nuts around shaker  (Read 5396 times)

Offline mwizz

70 Boss 302 - Wing nuts around shaker
« on: November 19, 2014, 07:42:42 AM »
I've got a 70 Metuchen B2. I have noticed other Bosses have wingnuts to hold down the plate that sits under the shaker but mine has ordinary nuts securing it. Should they be wingnuts?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:51:31 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Re: Wing nuts around shaker
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 08:21:16 AM »
Wing nuts were not used for factory assembly. That's a modification that makes it easier to remove the nuts by hand.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline mwizz

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:25:26 PM »
Thanks sah62

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:26:37 PM »
Wing nuts were not used for factory assembly. .........

+1  A very popular modification by prior owners :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mwizz

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 11:28:38 PM »
Thanks, I also note that the nut and bolt at the front of the shaker on my car is installed with the nut facing up which looks odd as you cab see the bottom of the bolt sticking up whereas I have seen on others that the philips head top of the bolt is facing up. I assume that the philips head bolt top should be facing up as that looks correct.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 06:36:30 PM »
Thanks, I also note that the nut and bolt at the front of the shaker on my car is installed with the nut facing up which looks odd as you cab see the bottom of the bolt sticking up whereas I have seen on others that the philips head top of the bolt is facing up. I assume that the philips head bolt top should be facing up as that looks correct.

No should have studs facing up at all attachment points (scoop to air cleaner base) is original. Can't recall ever seeing a phillps head there

Jeff Speegle

Offline mwizz

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 06:36:16 AM »
Thanks for that Jeff, that clarifies those but I think the one up in front of the shaker might be upside down. Pic below

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 05:48:26 PM »
Thanks for that Jeff, that clarifies those but I think the one up in front of the shaker might be upside down. Pic below

Yes that one is up side donw - thought you were still referring to the mid plate to air cleaner base attachment hardware
Jeff Speegle

Offline mwizz

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »
Thanks Jeff, it would have been easier if I put this photo up when I asked that question. Appreciate the help.

Offline mwizz

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »
Just one more question Jeff, should the top of this small bolt be a particular color?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 01:33:43 PM »
Just one more question Jeff, should the top of this small bolt be a particular color?

Have to ask so that we're both on the same "bolt"

Are you referring to the bolt that holds the scoop to the mid plate or the "bolt"/stud from the air cleaner base to the mid plate ?  One that you originally asked about for the wing nut
Jeff Speegle

Offline mwizz

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 05:38:52 AM »
Just the single bolt from the scoop to the mid plate (the one in my pic). I took that section off today and saw that it is just a threaded shaft with a nut at each end so I have to source the correct bolt from somewhere.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 05:26:37 PM »
Just the single bolt from the scoop to the mid plate (the one in my pic). I took that section off today and saw that it is just a threaded shaft with a nut at each end so I have to source the correct bolt from somewhere.

What you show, center forward in your picture, should be a phillips head bolt (as you mentioned earlier) facing down ward. Yellow highlighted area of the graphic below

If I remember correctly it screws/bolts into a round plate that sort or "floats", allowing for adjustment and conforming to a couple of different applications, in the middle plate. Purple arrow is the location of that plate - most visible from below and only a small cut out in the upper surface of the mid plate.

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 07:04:30 PM »
Bolt/screw 383119-S2 is a 1/4-20X1 1/2pan head, shown on AM0030 p25, 29 ,30 for 1969; AM0035 p23, 25, 26 28 for 1970. AMK carries it with the notation "similar". The original says "locking" in AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners, the replacement apparently has no locking feature.
Wing nuts for daily use, originals hardware for show.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mwizz

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 07:51:46 AM »
Thanks Jeff and Jim, appreciate the advice
Mark