Author Topic: Installing Repro. Emblem on Orig. '65 Glovebox Door  (Read 1871 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Installing Repro. Emblem on Orig. '65 Glovebox Door
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »
Years ago, I ran across a really nice '65 glovebox door.  The chrome would clean up very well, but the running horse emblem was so pitted it looked awful.  I know the original emblem was sort of bradded in place.  I bought a reproduction emblem to put on, but didn't see any way to install it like the factory did.  Since the backside of the glovebox door is visible when opened, I wanted the bradded area to at least look decent.

I know NPD sells some kind of tool that's supposed to correctly seat rivets; is this what I would need to do the glovebox emblem too?  Is it possible to do this job with maybe a vise or a press and regular center punches?  I hate to buy the tool and only use it once.

Thanks for any advice!   :D
Too much junk, too little time.

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Installing Repro. Emblem on Orig. '65 Glovebox Door
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
You'll need a press head to roll the end of the shaft like a tubular rivet.

An arbor press or rivet squeezer with large jaw will work.  Or, just buy the rivet end press bit and tap the end with a hammer.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Installing Repro. Emblem on Orig. '65 Glovebox Door
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »
You'll need a press head to roll the end of the shaft like a tubular rivet.

An arbor press or rivet squeezer with large jaw will work.  Or, just buy the rivet end press bit and tap the end with a hammer.

Thanks, Charles, seems simple enough!
Too much junk, too little time.