Author Topic: 1972 Alternator  (Read 1553 times)

Offline nham3407

1972 Alternator
« on: September 16, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »
Just received my scoring sheet from the Grand National.  One of the noted items was missing the Autolite stamp on the alternator.  I did not think they still had this stamp on the alternator in 72.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  It is an autolite correct part number rebuilt alternator. I do not think they went to the Motorcraft branded items until around March of 72 and this is a December 71 build date.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline c9zx

Re: 1972 Alternator
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »
Jack at Dead Nuts On may be able to point you to a definitive answer. I know he makes a 71 Boss 351 and 429 CJ alternator (Autolite). From what I can tell the switch to Motorcraft parts was done as they became available throughout the 1972 model year. I don't know what parts became available by date.
Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

1969 G code Cougar Eliminator
1972 Q code Mach 1, auto, air, 2F05Q183426, 03/16/72
CSX 7031

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »
No reason to bother Jack ;)

Believe you will find that originally there would not have been a large AUTOLITE ink stamping like earlier cars. Starting in spring of 69 Ford went to stamping, in the metal, of the front half of the casing (on top by the pivot point to the mounting) the full engineering number to identify the application rather than using the ink stamped identification that often didn't last a long time. 

Here are a couple of DO examples and a couple from unrestored cars as examples of the markign style

As far as getting dinged at the show. Just go prepared to nicely introduced your research next show. Something during the team introduction like " If I might there was a item that came up before that I researched and would like to share with the team before you start. May I?" Then offer what you have found and let the teams go about their task.

Bottom line it that the team likely missed half a dozen or more things that you know they could have deducted for - just figure its a wash at this point ;)  Get those addressed also since they might find one of those next time

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »
Thank you for the feedback. Jeff, that is how I have my alternator detailed with the red paint over the part number in the casting. The paint was applied before the stamping of the part number from my research so I the wiped some silver back over the red and then swiped the silver back off leaving it in the stamped numbers.

I do agree with your direction on consulting with the judging team prior to inspection. I always remain behind the car during judging to respond to any questions and respectfully observe their attention to areas. Bottom line is I appreciate their feedback and make improvements on what I can verify to be correct from the judging sheet. Your right, we know our cars better than anyone else and I am not trying to fool myself that this will ever be a thoroughbred. I would like it to show well and get the feedback on any areas to improve. I need to get out to other parts of the country to get other judges feedback. So far judged by 4 different judges with varying comments. Did well in Kansas City Grand National with total of 8 points deducted. Some I expect.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)