Author Topic: FMX tail shaft  (Read 2057 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

FMX tail shaft
« on: December 20, 2017, 07:56:39 PM »
What color would a tailshaft from a 72 FMX be? My 69 is an alloy of some sort,medium gray. Not cast iron and not aluminum. Somebody posted a pic that somebody else thought look super, mine is all natural parts with no comment. His tailsahaft is aluminum color. He used cast gray on iron center, just wondering if other years had different metals?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: FMX tail shaft
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 11:17:34 PM »
Your going to have to let the metal be your guide since the main pieces were typically uncoated and unpainted. Yes different years and even models (examples would be 68 where 390 C6 tailshaft housings were aluminum while the CJ C6 has a cast steel housing)   Sorry don't have any pictures that cover that detail in 71-3

Here is what the FMX looks like that I did for the 69 Shelby I did a few years back

Bellhousing and tailshaft housing were finished as bare metal with a few stained area blended in lightly with paint so you could not tell. Main cast steel body was coated thinly with the ceramic natural paint a number of others have used for years on case iron four speeds. Its a little shinny from being fresh and under bright shop lights. Not noticeable and dies down once under the car and installed

Bare steel spacer between the main case and the tailshaft housing , some hardened attaching bolts, zinc speedo cable retainer with dichromated retaining bolt...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:22:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 08:47:32 AM »
Thanks, interesting that the tailshafts would be a different material in the same year. I would post a photo but don't know how.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 02:27:53 PM »
Thanks, interesting that the tailshafts would be a different material in the same year. I would post a photo but don't know how.

There are a number of different ways to post pictures depending on where your going to store them.  Use the search feature and that should provide some help
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 11:03:30 PM »
Concours job on my FMX

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 08:21:57 AM »
I wonder why the tailshafts are made of different materials? Mustang vs Fairlane

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 03:21:54 PM »
I wonder why the tailshafts are made of different materials? Mustang vs Fairlane

Only guess I can make is something related to the weight of the intended vehicle and torque on the mount to transmission point.
Jeff Speegle

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »
Jeff, what color stripe on your FMX modulator?
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 08:19:31 PM »
Jeff, what color stripe on your FMX modulator?

We found a robin's egg blue - very similar to the dip stick tube
Jeff Speegle