Author Topic: Original Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes - Bleeder valves/screw finish  (Read 834 times)

Offline Morsel

Original Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes - Bleeder valves/screw finish
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:23:27 PM »
Well getting close to going back in on the brakes now that my original rotors are just about finished, got a couple things I want to address while I'm in there.

Main question I have right now is what color/finish were the original bleeder valves on the Kelsey Hayes calipers (couldn't seem to locate anything when searching about finish. The ones that were on mine originally were brass, but that doesn't mean they were original. All I can find aftermarket are silver zinc looking ones. Also, did they put the rubber bleeder valve caps on them like I've seen a couple times?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Original Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes - Bleeder valves/screw finish
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:58:13 PM »
Well getting close to going back in on the brakes now that my original rotors are just about finished, got a couple things I want to address while I'm in there.

Main question I have right now is what color/finish were the original bleeder valves on the Kelsey Hayes calipers (couldn't seem to locate anything when searching about finish. The ones that were on mine originally were brass, but that doesn't mean they were original. All I can find aftermarket are silver zinc looking ones. Also, did they put the rubber bleeder valve caps on them like I've seen a couple times?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,

Jason
I have seen the front disc caliper bleeder silver and sometimes gold. Gold in NOS service calipers that I have seen.  On the ones I have seen silver I don't know if the gold has rubbed off leaving the silver (zinc silver has to be plated first for the zinc Gold to stick). Given the rear brake bleeders are typically gold it wouldn't be a stretch that the fronts to be gold also. I plate them gold when in use on my car. The rubber covers are something the after market came up with.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:34:20 AM »
I believe assembly line ones were likely also zinc dichromate.

+1 on the caps. Even seen owners/shops apply wax (like from a wax stick used for lubing door latches) for the same purpose
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:39:15 AM »
+1 to Bob Gaines comments and findings

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:12:18 PM »
Excellent... thanks guys...

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior