Author Topic: Shock paint daubs  (Read 9595 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Shock paint daubs
« on: June 19, 2011, 04:07:52 PM »
This is a two part question, my build sheet indicates red for the shocks (front & rear) the shocks that came off the car were not original.  Is it acceptable to place the correct daubs on the replacement shocks.    If this is common practice does anyone have a photo showing the correct location and size for the daub on the shocks.  Second; what I'm wondering is it okay to reproduce markings from a build sheet that are not physically found due to missing, replaced parts or marking has simply worn off.
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Shock paint daubs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:17:17 PM »
This is a two part question, my build sheet indicates red for the shocks (front & rear) the shocks that came off the car were not original.  Is it acceptable to place the correct daubs on the replacement shocks.    If this is common practice does anyone have a photo showing the correct location and size for the daub on the shocks.

Currently organizations are suggesting that owners choose to reproduce as much of the original details as possible. If you have not yet found correctly dates and marked factory shocks then the fall back are shocks of the same shape, thread pitch, color and hardware. You can expect to receive some small deduction at a show until you get something identical - depending on the class.

Placing the correct/original paint marks are not required in most classes but they do add an additional detail to an already nicely executed restoration.

Second; what I'm wondering is it okay to reproduce markings from a build sheet that are not physically found due to missing, replaced parts or marking has simply worn off.

Again its not necessary in most classes and its frowned upon to place marks from other cars on your but adding marks documented by your car's buildsheet. Of course using another car's buildsheet brings with it problems and possible loss of points)

I would suggest owners DO NOT use the paint marks suggested in the assembly manuals (deducted for some of these this last weekend) and remember that what color was used is only a little part of the application. In addition you need to know what the color was (example - blue could be one of many difference tones or tints) how it was applied, was it sprayed, brushed ...... and what was the size and direction of application originally

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:53:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks again for the great advice, this clears things up a lot.  To date I have only produced the marks I have found and documented.  I will have to ponder putting the daubs on the replacement shocks even though the color is indicated on the build sheet.

David,
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 04:57:39 PM »
I don't see any problem with doing so as long as they are applied like they would have been originally.

Also remember to fill in any surface stampings that would indicate that these are not the original ones ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 08:42:22 PM »
Jeff,

I will make sure and do that, that's a great idea.  I will have to post some pics and get some constructive criticism from everybody.  Thanks again for the great advice.

David,
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:21:56 AM »
Jeff,
Do you have a picture of a shock with the correct red dab? Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »
Jeff,
Do you have a picture of a shock with the correct red dab? Marty

Since this is a discussion of shock marks in general terms (not specific years) then yes - see below.

Believe the color is pretty true to what was used though the location and size for your year was typically more like the examples above. This happens to be a 72 stamped shock. Hope it helps

Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 01:12:40 AM »
Jeff do you have any photo example of "Brown"? Most of the pics you've provided show that the paint daubs were on the glossier side.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »
Checked an could not find a good example of the brown - would guess that it was a typical medium muddy brown. And yes the application was typically done with gloss paint - nothing special it appears
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 12:50:18 PM »
Thanks for looking.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »
Jeff-  If you have the time to check-I could find NO trace of any paint daubs (lots of surface rust) on my original shocks for a January, '65 Dearborn 6 cyl conv.  Car has NO a/c or p/s.  Just the basic 200/C4.  Do you have any photos of any originals I could match up with? 

TIA-Gary
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »
Jeff-  If you have the time to check-I could find NO trace of any paint daubs (lots of surface rust) on my original shocks for a January, '65 Dearborn 6 cyl conv.  Car has NO a/c or p/s.  Just the basic 200/C4.  Do you have any photos of any originals I could match up with? 

Checked and I have nothing solid to go on and the Master Parts book is no help again :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 09:02:46 PM »

Checked and I have nothing solid to go on and the Master Parts book is no help again :(

Well isn't that just the way it goes sometimes?   :'(  Perhaps someone else has an original car with the info I need...
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 10:08:08 PM »
Well isn't that just the way it goes sometimes?   :'(  Perhaps someone else has an original car with the info I need...

Do you have what was used (engineering number from the shocks) originally? Master Parts catalog lumps them all together and shows only the replacements.

That way if someone has a loose shock or two with a mark you can find out that way.  Just a thoight
Jeff Speegle

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 07:54:45 AM »
Good idea-yes- the original shocks are buried in a pile in the garage.  I can get them out this weekend while everyone else is eating turkey.  Always looking for an excuse to dig around out there. ::)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI