Author Topic: 67 Shelby nose  (Read 1389 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

67 Shelby nose
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:36:07 AM »
Just thought I would ask this question. Years ago I was working on a 67 GT 350 and one problem was replacing the broken studs on the nose piece. When I removed the broken stud I found it was a bolt( likely a grade 2 ) with a wing nut screwed on backwards, then fiberglassed in with the molded nose. Not very high-tech I thought, but had to remember the time. What have others found?
Chris

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 Shelby nose
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 12:51:59 AM »
Just thought I would ask this question. Years ago I was working on a 67 GT 350 and one problem was replacing the broken studs on the nose piece. When I removed the broken stud I found it was a bolt( likely a grade 2 ) with a wing nut screwed on backwards, then fiberglassed in with the molded nose. Not very high-tech I thought, but had to remember the time. What have others found?
Chris
What you describe is not what the factory did. SA used bolts similar to the fender bolts and a J clip or flange nut for the bolt to thread into and not a wing nut. I have only seen the stud in the upper position. What you describe is what I typically see in various reproduction versions of the genuine Shelby nose.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1969 Cale II

Re: 67 Shelby nose
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:05:13 PM »
I know the car was a total rust bucket( was getting rebodied ) and the gel coat had a lot of pinholes after I stripped off the paint. This was before I started taking notes on things, just a cool car to paint. Thought it was weird, wish I knew more.