Author Topic: Radiator - what brand to buy?  (Read 2997 times)

Offline fast66

Radiator - what brand to buy?
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:00:51 PM »
I plan to install a three row radiator in my 1966 2+2 289 C4. I have had a Taiwan unit - not good...
What brand should I get and where do I get it?
thanks,
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline zray

Re: Radiator - what brand to buy?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:16:24 PM »
as far as I know there is no exact reproduction radiator made today. Many people are taking a decent original top tank and having it welded to a new(er) lower core.

if you are just looking for a better radiator than what you have now, there are numerous choices in both brass and aluminum.

Z.

Looking for '65-'68 manual V-8 coupe
that doesn't need a new body

Offline fast66

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 03:31:27 AM »
Thanks Z,
My car isn't concours but I would like to have a good brand radiator, looking reasonably correct. I would assume with so many members on this site, that not all are going the way you mention but still have nice cars with a radiator to "my" specs. Don't wanna go the aluminum way as they look horrible IMO.

I live in Sweden and we only have a couple of vendors over here. I can shop by catalog from the US, of course, but now when I am going to the 50s anniversary in LV, i may be able to pic a correct one up if I know where to look or even have one ordered to a hotel where I stay.

Any help is appreciated,
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
Doing a "recore" on a radiator, going from a two row to a three row using your original top and bottom tanks, is relatively easy for a good radiator shop to do. The new cores are available. I've had two done that way. Unfortunately my radiator guy retired and I don't remember what brand he used. It does get to be expensive as the cost for copper is way up there and it is a labor intensive task. You need to plan ahead before you make your trip. Use Google or Yahoo search engines to find a Las Vegas shop (or shops) and communicate with them your needs.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:06:06 AM »
as far as I know there is no exact reproduction radiator made today. Many people are taking a decent original top tank and having it welded to a new(er) lower core.

if you are just looking for a better radiator than what you have now, there are numerous choices in both brass and aluminum.

Z.

Unfortunitly ZRay is right, there is no accurate reproduction radiator on the market.

I have been watching Graveyard Carz where they do Mopars and saw an episode recently where they raved about just how accurate a new radiator they bought was.

It doesn't seem like rocket science to make a good quality reproduction radiator for early Mustangs that looks correct and for those of us that have manual transmissions  to be able to get one w/o provisions for cooling lines.

Offline 1965 t5

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »
I just had my original recored - looks amazing.  The shop sent my tanks out to be attached to a new core so it keeps the original look. Cost me just shy of $400.

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 05:47:10 AM »
Any pics of the recore with the original tanks
Did they covert it to 3 row or leave it as a 2row
Where did you have the work done
Cheers
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline mustangted

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 01:15:34 AM »
Unfortunitly ZRay is right, there is no accurate reproduction radiator on the market.

I have been watching Graveyard Carz where they do Mopars and saw an episode recently where they raved about just how accurate a new radiator they bought was.

It doesn't seem like rocket science to make a good quality reproduction radiator for early Mustangs that looks correct and for those of us that have manual transmissions  to be able to get one w/o provisions for cooling lines.

did they mention the correct mopar radiators lost 1500 bucks?
66 L6 Coupe, 06 v-6 coupe

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »
I just had my original recored - looks amazing.  The shop sent my tanks out to be attached to a new core so it keeps the original look. Cost me just shy of $400.

I love this approach! 
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6