Author Topic: Correct Color Smog Bracket 66 GT  (Read 5368 times)

Offline lancelot66

Re: Correct Color Smog Bracket 66 GT
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 09:04:47 PM »
I apologize here Jeff, first of all. Let's wait until I hear back from Richard if that's ok (provided your bracket is indeed available).  Jeeze, I got way too excited again and got ahead of myself. Bad form on my part. Trying to wrap up a work-day Monday and get my carcass home...This darn part has driven me crazy trying to find one out there for too long I think.  Always the "little things"....again....and again...

Respectfully,
-Lance
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »
Yes painted on the block up through 69 - this includes 67.  Sure I've got maybe a half dozen of those unless I've thrown some away recently

Have seen service replacements that were painted black

Thanks for the correction.  Don't see too many here in the midwest, and those that I have seen myself either have no paint left, or have been painted black by a PO.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 11:37:40 PM »
Thanks Richard. You're right about the similarities. I was surprised but Bob Mannel's book has filled in a good many blanks for me, either in knowledge or my sometimes-unreliable-memory! I appreciate the offer too. There is one (and I really mean "only one") piece that I'm missing for our entire system and that is this, unique to SJ 66, spark plug wire extention bracket that is used on the passenger side of the car. I don't have Bob's book handy right now (I'm at work, and yes, I know...!) but that little bugger has eluded my collection efforts these last few years. Bob has the perfect picture of it. Only used on the early cars with the lower profile and rounded valve covers. Our is a 1-6-66 built car and when I bought it, believe the PO had replaced a valve cover gasket and pitched it or forgot to re-attach it. I have the drivers side one and the 2 original screws to fasten it down to the valve cover tab mount (much different config too). These extension brackets basically served to keep the wire up off the air logs on each side. Was at a show yesterday in Port Orchard, WA and there were 2 guys that actually knew what I was talking about, or so they thought...tough little part to find though. Saw one on eBay last year but you had to buy the guy's whole thermactor setup to get it. Anyway, it's maybe likely also that I should post this in the parts wanted area too. Just haven't wanted to bug anyone over something so small and maybe not often used. This is yet another of those disadvantages of not living down there in Ventura any longer...away from all the thermactor equipped cars I used to see alot more often.
Thanks again!

-Lance

I will look in the morning, I just got home from a ball game and been upabout 18 hours now. I don't think I have it though...
Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 08:28:16 AM »

Let's wait until I hear back from Richard

No help here.

I have these extra parts because I HAD to get them in a "right now" sort of way. The car isn't even ready for the engine yet, but I HAD to get a missing hose & clamp "right away". As a result, I have surplus parts, all good stuff. Eventually, this "money in the bank" will return to usable funds.

My opinion is that you maybe SHOULD have bought that setup you saw last year. Sometimes, our best oportunity passes us up because we get into counting the cost. Usually, when I see something I have been waiting for a long time to find, I forget how much TIME is worth and fail to count THAT cost too!

Am I (are we) crazy? Maybe so. But I have found that when I overbuy things, I usually do not loose out in the end.
I have room to store things, so for me, it has become a no-brainer. IMHO, if I didn't have the room, I would do the same thing, only I would sell my overstock quicker, maybe less of a break-even on the deals but at least I wouldn't be still hunting for a hen's tooth.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
Thank you Richard. You're right about over buying in a lot of cases. Right also about the value of our time spent in searches too...this is one of those times I do regret not making that decision. I believe the whole setup went for around $175 and when you factor in the brackets alone (as was the subject and intent of this thread in the first place, sorry everyone) it would have been money well spent I think. I do have a little extra storage room too, like you mention. The pump function is always a wild card but I've seen the bracket here, plus the adjusting arm (with adjusting slot), the 2-piece backfire valve bracket, plus the bolts and washers go for well over $200, for a specific example. It's possible part of the over-all belief in my head hasn't quite adjusted to the facts of the times: We just can't jump in our vehicles and go down to pick-a-parts with our tool boxes anymore, and especially, if you even find a vintage mustang, it's thoroughly gone over and missing everything imaginable and ready for the crusher.  :'(
You take care sir and thanks again for "your time" looking especially!

-Lance
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »
and "no"...we're not crazy, especially the way you've stated it. We may or may not want to run that by our significant others (my wife would have some fun with this) but it's a by-product of pursuing this hobby like it should be, and having fun doing it! (IMHO)

-Lance
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »
...This darn part has driven me crazy trying to find one out there for too long I think.  Always the "little things"....again....and again...

...and again...and again...and again

It just makes us pay a CRAZY amount for a silly little item that once upon a time, in a land not so far away, it was a "freebie" when we bought that say, alternator or something.

If only I had the knowledge of today, the storage space I have today and a few ten thousand dollars spent with that knowledge of today in say 1980...Well, I would have invested in Apple! lol!

Richard

Richard
Richard Urch