Author Topic: 64 1/2 Gas cap question and I may use it anyway  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Dave Stribling

64 1/2 Gas cap question and I may use it anyway
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »
I have an absolutely mint, mint mint early paper gasket Stant manufactured 64-65 Mustang gas cap. It has the SMC logo on it, and it has the hole for the cable.  It has never had a cable installed on it - there is no indicators that the cable was ever there. The only other picture I have seen on the net is Jason Zimberoffs page that shows one with a rubber seal and the hole.  My friend in Indy says no hole - if it has a hole you're too late.

Questions:
1. Did they make any 64 1/2s with the hole? Please say yes...... :)
2. if this is "legally" a 65 and I use it, what's the tradeoff of using this one vs a repo that has no stamp.

I personally like using the original - even if it isn't 100 percent copacetic.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 64 1/2 Gas cap question and I may use it anyway
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:09:23 PM »
There are small marks around where the stud was, so I would have to say it was removed from this cap.  If you're showing the car in MCA concours, you wouldn't get any points for the hole being there on a early 64.5 car as the judges are not supposed to touch or remove any parts.

If it bothers you that much, think you know what you need to do... :)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Chris

Re: 64 1/2 Gas cap question and I may use it anyway
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:26:40 PM »
Here's an NOS one without the cable attachment point (pics attached). I have three of these, this one being the nicest.

Chris
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64