Author Topic: 1967 Mustang/Shelby Fender to inner fender sealer?  (Read 1985 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 Mustang/Shelby Fender to inner fender sealer?
« on: January 29, 2016, 01:11:10 AM »
I am wanting to replace the sealer that was used I assume to keep the fenders from making noise with the unibody under high stress loads. I remember it being about an 1" wide by 1/16 thick and appeared to be similar to the tar wrap I have seen used on AC expansion valves.
Does anyone know what we are using in the restoration of the vehicles and where it can be obtained?
                                                              Thanks, Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Mustang/Shelby Fender to inner fender sealer?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 01:18:30 AM »
I am wanting to replace the sealer that was used I assume to keep the fenders from making noise with the unibody under high stress loads. I remember it being about an 1" wide by 1/16 thick and appeared to be similar to the tar wrap I have seen used on AC expansion valves.
Does anyone know what we are using in the restoration of the vehicles and where it can be obtained?
                                                              Thanks, Keith
Butyl tape or strip caulk . npd sells both. black ,gray strip caulk or you can mix the two for a dark gray.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 01:56:55 AM »
I have strip caulk. They offer the tape version at NPD? I was at the FL store Friday and he looked at me like a deer in the headlights when I asked.

-Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »
+1 on the black 3M strip chalking. Normally take 3-4 strands, work them together then stretch them until the cord is the diameter of a lead pencil then apply it to the surface.  Press it to form a strip that is now wide and thin then install the fender.

You don't want to leave all the strands individuals since you can often see this detail from the wheel well side :(  Doesn't even look correct from that angle

Remember once applied and all the panels in place its rarely seen from the engine compartment side other than a bit around the VIN cut out in the fender
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Fender to Inner Fender Panel Sealant Question - 67 San Jose
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
NOTE: Split off from another thread concerning gas tank to body  sealants
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3145.new#new

When applied to the gas tank and fender area (SJ Mar) how much should Goosh out? Yeah, Goosh is a technical term!

Gas tank typically ..........................

Fenders often none IMHO was not covered. Every once in a while you might find a car where the end of the strand slide out but from the tens of thousands I've seen this was not the norm. Many of the picture threads of unrestored 67 San Jose and even 68's here on the sight will provide you with some examples

If its seen, its typically at the VIN cut out since the worker may have applied it fairly straight down the edge of the inner fenders not compensating allot for the cutout

Have tons of unrestored pictures where no sealant is visible but no reason to show them.  Here are a few of the examples when the material was visible from the hood is open. 

Product and color of the product. Once the product used is exposed to air and sun for many years if turns a lighter shade and becomes dry and chalky

In this freshly prier off example (removed from the location where the green arrow is) you can make out the chalky upper edge that was exposed and over time it continued to spread through the sealant drying out from the exposed edge inward. The Blue arrow shows an area not yet affected showing the original color of the product used

This example also provides an idea of how much product made up the strip applied to the inner fender panel

Here is an example that has been exposed for a while. Color has changed like the edge of the product shown in the example above.
Its bone dry all the way through as you can see as I scrapped through it and tried to pry it up like the other example above.

So if you  want to include a "blow out" or "smooch"  :)  somewhere in the engine compartment here are some original examples. Remember that exposed sealant will collect dust and dirt as well as micro fiber towels used for cleaning and plenty else

Took a bit to find these since as, mentioned allot of cars had no visible sealant from the engine compartment view. Hope these help

Remember that the product you use can be seen from the wheelwell so if you try and cut corners it may be uncovered there. Here a builder choose incorrectly to just run three small diameter/thin (out of the box) strips of strip chalking rather than work the strips together into one strand and apply it like originally done

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:45:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: Fender to Inner Fender Panel Sealant Question - 67 San Jose
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 03:08:23 AM »
You even managed to get the color of my car in one of your examples. Well done!
And thank you!
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bluefinger73

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 10:25:15 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I've wondered about the large amount of sealant squeezed out from under the fender on my San Jose '68. I guess it is normal, if not excessive. As far as I can tell this car has never been apart. I want to clean up the engine bay, leaving it as original as I can. But, I'm not sure what to do with the sealant other than maybe leaving it alone.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 11:50:06 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I've wondered about the large amount of sealant squeezed out from under the fender on my San Jose '68. I guess it is normal, if not excessive. As far as I can tell this car has never been apart. I want to clean up the engine bay, leaving it as original as I can. But, I'm not sure what to do with the sealant other than maybe leaving it alone.
Leaving the sealant original means not touching it . Re doing /restoring other aspects of the engine compartment may render leaving the sealant alone a non issue . If everything else is cleaned up (restored ? ) the sealant and it's patina may not look consistent with everything else. You will have to weigh the plus and minus's yourself and make the decision that best fits your situation. Best of luck with your decision.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 12:05:39 PM »
As Jeff tried to explain, the sealant was done like a lot of things on the assembly line - inconsistent and often sloppy. I wouldn't fix it, it's not broken.

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock