Author Topic: Anodized aluminum polishing  (Read 3259 times)

Offline preaction

Anodized aluminum polishing
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »
Is it possible to restore the luster to an aluminum trim piece that has once been re anodized clear as in bright and shiny  from original condition,  to bring back some of the "POP" that is achieved from a freshly anodized part without striping and re anodizing again. I'm not sure if buffing an anodized part will ruin it.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Anodized aluminum polishing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 11:04:44 PM »
Is it possible to restore the luster to an aluminum trim piece that has once been re anodized clear as in bright and shiny  from original condition,  to bring back some of the "POP" that is achieved from a freshly anodized part without striping and re anodizing again. I'm not sure if buffing an anodized part will ruin it.
I have yet to see a process where a anodized part that has faded can be brought back like it looked  when fresh. Striping and re anodizing is the only solution I know of. Maybe someone else maybe knows different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 11:08:57 PM »
FYI to add to the equation is the fact that the aluminum exterior and interior anodized trim parts are for the most part not regular anodizing but a different process called brite dip anodizing . Regular anodizing on a aluminum trim piece looks dull compared to the same part that is brite dip anodizing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:11:32 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline nham3407

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 01:52:43 PM »
It is my understanding that it is the anodize coating that turns cloudy over time from the UV and micro scratches.  The only way to restore luster is to strip and polish the aluminum base material.  You can re-anodize or leave bare knowing you will need to polish regularly. I chose to leave bare and apply a coat of wax.  I know it will require polishing, but not be susceptible to future fade and require the whole process over again.  It is also a lot more babied today that it was in the past.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 07:37:11 PM »
Are there any Brite Dip providers that have been used in recent years. I have a 67 Tbird hood trim piece to be anodized (aluminum), similar to the 69 hood lip molding. I have been told size is an issue.

Any input on the different levels or stages of the finish?
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS