Author Topic: KC Mecum Auction - Spring '14  (Read 2000 times)

Offline husker boxster

KC Mecum Auction - Spring '14
« on: March 22, 2014, 01:51:26 PM »
Well I'm registered for the auction in late Apr.  I wanted a Fri TV slot but my car wasn't of high enough value.  Only slots available based on their value est was Thu afternoon or Thu night.  I selected Thu night.  They wanted you to put a 2nd slot so I thought what the heck and picked Thu TV.  Turns out they gave me a Thu TV slot.  Those are supposed to be reserved for cars valued at $15K +.  No arguments from me.

Got some detailing left to do, but overall I'm in good shape.  She's running very well now.  The front seats get cleaned on Wed.  Now I just need 2 bidders.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=KC0414-181141&entryRow=31&lottype=&startRow=25

I've been digging up stuff to incl with the sale - window sticker, owner card, etc.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:53:01 PM by husker boxster »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: KC Mecum Auction - Spring '14
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 04:13:21 PM »
The factory keys are typically not Aluminum. The ones in the picture are the right shape and hole configuration . It is my understanding that the aluminum keys are lower priced replacements . The aluminum replacement keys are very light . The factory keys have a little weight to them. Both types appear silver. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline husker boxster

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »
I bought the car when it was 3 mo old and these are the keys the orig owner gave me.  They say Family of Fine Cars on the other side.  There's debate whether they're aluminum or magnesium.  I'm not a metallurgist but they're not steel.

In doing a bit of research, it looks like Ford used them in the late 70's and early 80's.  Some say it was to save weight, others say to put less drag on the ignition switch. 

Regardless, I have them and chances are not many still do.  Every little bit of authenticity helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-1979-1980-1981-Ford-Keys-Thunderbird-Mustang-/201042337819#ht_1245wt_1238

Online 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:49:15 PM »
We bought a new 78 Mustang and it had these same lightweight keys.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
I bought the car when it was 3 mo old and these are the keys the orig owner gave me.  They say Family of Fine Cars on the other side.  There's debate whether they're aluminum or magnesium.  I'm not a metallurgist but they're not steel.

In doing a bit of research, it looks like Ford used them in the late 70's and early 80's.  Some say it was to save weight, others say to put less drag on the ignition switch. 

Regardless, I have them and chances are not many still do.  Every little bit of authenticity helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-1979-1980-1981-Ford-Keys-Thunderbird-Mustang-/201042337819#ht_1245wt_1238
I should have looked closer at your literature because I thought we were taking about a 60's Mustang and not a later model 70's version.The typical 60's vintage key is brass and then plated silver color. When the silver wears off you can see the brass underneath. They are not steel. I can remember getting a aluminum key made for my 69 Mach I back in 1970. I think it was a lower priced alternative available back then. It was cheaper then the normal key at the time and was the reason a bucks down teenager like me at the time opted for the lower priced version. It doesn't surprise me that the aluminum keys may have become standard on the later 70's Mustang as you and someone else has indicated for that same lower price reason. In any case the best of luck with the sale of your car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline husker boxster

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:03:15 AM »
I remember those silver plated brass keys.  And I don't think the aluminum keys were a great idea, but they didn't ask me.  Probably why they only lasted approx 4 yrs.

Thanks for the luck.  Because I'm not sure what the market price is on my car, the auction may be a good way to find out.  It will be hard to part with it, but the Mustang would be my only chance to participate in a Mecum auction, so I'm hoping that makes the sale fun.