Author Topic: 67 Shelby Brake Recall/Service Campaign  (Read 2494 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
67 Shelby Brake Recall/Service Campaign
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:09:38 AM »
Ford had a problem with their Midland-Ross brake boosters during the 1967 production run. In response to the problems Ford tried a couple of fixes but the final attempt (with a full service/recall campaign) took place on or about mid May 1967. The final fix included a new and improved brake booster and check valve. So on 67 Shelbys built after #1385 (according to documentation) we would expect to find both of the improved parts (check valve and booster) identified by the red daubs.

The following is a post I made elsewhere and I thought viewers here might benefit from the information here.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The red mark on the booster IMHO is the second part of the 67 recall process. First step was a new/revised check valve that received a red daub when this didn't fix the problems Ford recalled the whole unit. These were marked also with the red mark so that service personnel could identify them from the ones that had not been replaced. Since this was a big (allot of cars) service campaign Ford supplied a ton of these to dealerships and IMHO the reason why there are so many of both the check valves and booster assemblies out there in NOS form. Of course none service replacements would have also had these markings on them for a period of time after the fix was incorporated.

New and improved check valve-C7AZ-2365-A

Recall/Service Campaign booster (notice the Service Campaign sticker on box-C7ZZ-2005-A

Service replacement (new and improved/after recall) master cylinder and booster assy-C7ZZ-2005-A1

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: 67 Shelby Brake Recall/Service Campaign
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »
I show 01385 built by Ford on 3/7/1967. So anything after that Ford build date?
Or would SA have done the recall if they modified or shipped after 3/7/67?

My car missed that date by less than a week, so I gather "as delivered" would NOT feature the red dots?

Or because my car was delivered to the customer much later, would the dealer have done the fix and I need the red dots?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:21:05 AM »
If the car was in the system I would expect that a delivering dealer would have addressed any recalls before it was handed over the new owner.

As for "as delivered", safety recalls are often overlooked if for no other reason than liability for the judging organization. In this example an owner can choose to do the recall and leave no visible indication of the fix on an earlier car or if they choose include one or both visible clues.  Cars built between the first and second recalls have choices to make also.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 12:55:31 AM »
Just a comment on current Ford recalls,They all state that in stock vehicles need to be done before delivery to customer or the dealership could be subject to a fine----This from 18s02-----Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the
buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000
per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.
I`m sure something similar was stated way back when as well,so recalls should have been done before delivery.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.