Author Topic: Wiring Repairs~ Reinstalling Factory Looking Bullet Connectors  (Read 3406 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
In working on a couple rare option sub-harnesses, I have a need to install 4 of the round bullet MALE connectors.
Three of which are easily visible easily and one would be hidden behind the instrument cluster. I add the "rare" aspect because this is one reason wishing to make the repair look correct instead of simply pinching on or soldering on a parts store bullet end.

IS THERE A WAY TO MOLD NEW ENDS ONTO THESE WIRES?

Otherwise, if splicing the wiring underneath the tape is the only other logical way to go, the Color Coded needs to disguise this behind the harness taping would be: 2 red w/blue pinstripe (starter circuit of a 67 tilt-away harness), then I would need 2 green with white pinstripe (one for L/turn indicator, 67 tach dash harness & other for Park Brake switch, convenience control panel, 67 Mustang). Each of these splice donors would need a male end bullet connector on the end and about 6 inches of wire attached. I suppose if this is the way to go, I could post this in the "wanted section" but it really would be easier if these ends could simply be added on somehow.

Randy, are you reading this?

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

Re: Wiring Repairs~ Reinstalling Factory Looking Bullet Connectors
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 12:54:47 PM »
IS THERE A WAY TO MOLD NEW ENDS ONTO THESE WIRES?
Richard,
The simple answer is yes. The complicated answer is the companies that have the capability to do this are reluctant as old wires are fragile, the insulation crumbles, and they don't want to assume any responsibility. I tried to get some 65 GT wiring fixed about 10 years ago thru a local Mustang parts distributor. They contacted two wiring harness manufacturers who replied that they were more interested in selling me new harness than fixing an old one. However, times change.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »
Richard,
The simple answer is yes. The complicated answer is the companies that have the capability to do this are reluctant as old wires are fragile, the insulation crumbles, and they don't want to assume any responsibility. I tried to get some 65 GT wiring fixed about 10 years ago thru a local Mustang parts distributor. They contacted two wiring harness manufacturers who replied that they were more interested in selling me new harness than fixing an old one. However, times change.
Jim

These optional harnesses are not all stiff or crumbling as some wiring I have seen are. The tach dash one isn't too rare as much as the tilt harness and the convenience control harnesses are. I know of nobody reproducing any of these items. USED are difficult to find and it would not make good sense with the little that is wrong with them to replace the whole harnesses anyways.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 05:30:20 PM »
These optional harnesses are not all stiff or crumbling as some wiring I have seen are. The tach dash one isn't too rare as much as the tilt harness and the convenience control harnesses are. I know of nobody reproducing any of these items. USED are difficult to find and it would not make good sense with the little that is wrong with them to replace the whole harnesses anyways.
You can make all the observations you want about the current condition and quality of old wiring, the question was asked "IS THERE A WAY TO MOLD NEW ENDS ONTO THESE WIRES?" The answer is yes, but no company will commit to doing that service. The reason is generic and overall, they cannot guarantee the quality. Having worked with wiring since 1960 thru today (I threw away some old power cords a friend brought over to "fix"), I can understand the reluctance to do that. That leaves little choice but to find used wiring in good condition.   
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 09:44:46 PM »
I once inquired about these molding machines, and was told they run about $10k used and take up about half of a garage stall.  Ugh.  I'll stick to recycling!

PM me about wire lengths and let me see if I can cobble up what you need so they can be spliced in out of sight.  I believe I have a good chunk of remnants of a 68 tilt harness laying about that might make a good donor.

Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »
Which wiring harnesses are you looking for?

The 67 tilt and underdash harnesses are reproduced. Can you post a picture of the convience control?

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »
He's looking for the red/blue wires and bullet connectors for the tilt harness.  He's also wanting the low fuel lines (male, female bullet connectors) that are part of the convenience system; that wiring is not reproduced.  He's also wanting the male and female bullet connectors for the LH dash cluster (tach configured) with the bulb socket attached to the male bullet. 

The wiring for the tilt harness is readily available from 65/66 NSS/BU harnesses.  The convenience system requires red molded connectors with green/white wiring, something that isn't found anywhere in the vintage Mustangs or Cougars.  The dash cluster wiring can be found, but is fairly rare and different than the standard dash wiring system.  I'll be looking through my stock tomorrow morning, but my fear is that I'll only have the tilt wiring.  The only green/white bullet connectors other than described are found on 64.5 Mustangs. 

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 09:54:52 PM »
Well, we've been corresponding and sending pictures back and forth.  What 67gtsanjose is missing are the two female bullet connectors (black/violet wires with yellow molded connectors) on each end for the connection to the door harnesses for the door-ajar system, along with a male bullet connector (green/red wire with red molded connector) for the parking brake.  He's also missing portions of the tilt steering harness.  I happen to have an intact tilt steering harness, and have found what he's missing from a 67 Cougar harness.