Author Topic: voltage regulator review and rubber ink stamping  (Read 3863 times)

Online 67gta289

voltage regulator review and rubber ink stamping
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
I have a very nice original C5TF-10316-A voltage regulator and am wondering if there is a rubber stamp out there already made that I can loan.  If not I'll pursue getting one made that can be shared.

Attached is a little something I put together that compares an original regulator with a reproduction, noting some differences.  Also noted are what appear to be factory markings to denote passing of a functional test.  I hope it provides value to someone.

Also as always if it spawns some discussion, whether due to an error on my part, or something I missed, etc. that would be good since I love to learn.  If there is no discussion I'll be a bit surprised ;)
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

Re: voltage regulator review and rubber ink stamping
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 12:04:26 AM »
John,
A scan or a straight down picture would be nice. Here's my progress on a regulator for a 1964 I-6 generator car. It takes time.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 02:56:55 AM »
John,
A scan or a straight down picture would be nice. Here's my progress on a regulator for a 1964 I-6 generator car. It takes time.
Jim
Jim I am surprised to see a generator regulator blue color given they were pre 65. Is that because it is a service part made post 67? I figured it would be black in the same way the alternator regulators transitioned from black to blue in 67. I have not studied generator regulators.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »
John the inspection marks are interesting, I will have to check some of mine.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:24:39 AM »
Curious why your reproduction example looks to have WHITE ink stamping. (just an observation)

A quick search of reproductions from a few popular sites include these images. It looks like several use the AMK image in their online catalogs. I've only included one image of those examples.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:27:51 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 10:13:21 AM »
Curious why your reproduction example looks to have WHITE ink stamping. (just an observation)

A quick search of reproductions from a few popular sites include these images. It looks like several use the AMK image in their online catalogs. I've only included one image of those examples.
Most likely you are seeing silver and not white. C5AF is silver and C5TF is yellow. C5AF is for use with 38/42 amp alternator and C5TF is for 55 amp alt.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:28:37 AM »
Jim I am surprised to see a generator regulator blue color given they were pre 65. Is that because it is a service part made post 67? I figured it would be black in the same way the alternator regulators transitioned from black to blue in 67. I have not studied generator regulators.

+1 and also I would expect a FoMoCo script instead of Autolite.  Also thought that generator Mustangs used a 30A regulator, but have not checked if 25A is correct for an I6.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »
It's a service part.
+1 and also I would expect a FoMoCo script instead of Autolite.  Also thought that generator Mustangs used a 30A regulator, but have not checked if 25A is correct for an I6.
I think you're right about the FOMOCO. The 64 Mustang Electric Assembly Manual lists C2DF-10505-A regulator for 6 cylinder engine generator applications, and a C2AF-10505-A regulator for V8 engine generators.
As I stated - it's "progress", and it has come to a halt. My initial thoughts were could I take a scan of the marking and make a stamp from it using my archaic 20 year old Photoshop software.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 04:58:26 PM »
John the inspection marks are interesting, I will have to check some of mine.

Not unusual (depending on year/time period) to find a date, one or more slashes, daubs and other markings other than the identification one
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »

Pictures of my repro AMK purchased about a year ago. Notice the crappy alignment of the contact points  >:(
Also, if compared to the images of the OE example in John's PDF, you will notice several other differences such as the head of the screws (smaller), relays, underside components and so on.

The cover looks good.

The base looks good at a glance.

I have to wonder how well it will last. Originals didnt last very well, perhaps why Ford switched over later service part replacements to the electronic/solid-state versions.

It is easy to understand the OP's desire to use an OE FoMoCo version as opposed to any of the repros available because we already know the repros are failing faster than you can change them. Like the starter solenoids...it would be nice to have somebody build a reliable, correct-appearing reproduction. I intend to occasionally drive my restored 67 more than on and off of a trailer, requiring a battery charger on stand-by to have it pass muster at a show.

If anyone in the Parts Business might be reading this...perhaps consider building an example that looks as good as this amk product does that perhaps has the solid-state internals of the later service Replacements that Ford was selling.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:54:35 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
.... Originals didnt last very well, perhaps why Ford switched over later service part replacements to the electronic/solid-state versions.

Don't know about that I've had at least 200 over the years and can't recall having to touch or replace one except for consmitic reasons.

In any case thanks for the report
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 07:02:10 AM »
John, did you have an accurate measurement for the diameter of the screw head? The image you provided looks to be off-centered a bit. (in your PDF image) I am trying to locate a couple of the correct dimension screws, trying first at a local hardware store. I see they are 1/2" long clearly. Looks slightly larger than 1/4" diameter in your image.
Richard Urch

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 10:35:36 AM »
We handle the AMK reproductions, and just about all versions/stampings now have electronic/solid state internals.

Online 67gta289

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 04:48:29 PM »
John, did you have an accurate measurement for the diameter of the screw head? The image you provided looks to be off-centered a bit. (in your PDF image) I am trying to locate a couple of the correct dimension screws, trying first at a local hardware store. I see they are 1/2" long clearly. Looks slightly larger than 1/4" diameter in your image.

The original screw has a head diameter of 0.303" whereas repro is 0.253".  Yes I checked the micrometer zero😉

Length of original and repro the same at 0.600". 

Original had sheet metal type threads repro is machine thread #8-32
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Online 67gta289

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 10:39:39 PM »
Found two more regulators with inspection marks.  However, for the first time I noticed that there are date stamps.  These were both pulled out of 65/66 Galaxies. Obviously the blue Motorcraft is a replacement.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660