Author Topic: Another Failed Reproduction  (Read 1482 times)

Offline OldMustangGuy

Another Failed Reproduction
« on: August 19, 2017, 12:35:16 PM »
I ran across an advertisement for a "new tooling" 67-68 reproduction rear bumper. The manufacturer is Auto Metal Direct. Because of the "new tooling" supposedly only available for a couple of months they claim excellent fit as well as superb chrome. I ordered one more as an experiment than anything else and discovered that, for the particular one I received, they failed on both counts. The chrome was passable driver quality but wouldn't pass muster for show quality...there were a couple of small bubbles or blemishes and, with the correct lighting angle, you can see some waviness in the chrome finish.

The fit also left much to be desired. The "new tooling" produced a wider spread (the vee of the bumper looking at if from the inside) of about 1/4" compared to an oem bumper...doesn't seem like much but it really pushes it up against the bumper guards too tightly...the guards can obviously be adjusted some but not enough to produce a decent fit...also, for what ever reason, the rolled or flanged area around the license plate cut out is about 3/8" wider than oem...definitely noticeable, at least to the concours guys. The bumper was also not correctly formed in that it fit way too closely to the tail panel on the rear side...shimming it solved that problem but introduced additional clearance issue with the bumper guard.

All of the repro bumpers seem to be a crapshoot...you hear good things about one vendor and then bad things...lots of Q/C inconsistency. Others may have a better experience with this AMD product.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Another Failed Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 12:50:44 PM »
Sad to hear this. I SERIOUSLY considered that bumper too but ended up purchasing a NOS (Service replacement). I'm still hoping it fits good when I get to that point. I (unfortunately) replaced my original bumpers, both front & rear, YEARS ago in favor of a Service Replacement FRONT & a re-chromed REAR one that wasn't straightened right (never fit too good but it shined like a mirror at the time:)

My understanding for Concours, SHOW QUALITY, you will need to source date-correct core bumpers and have them straightened/chromed. My suggestion would be, in light of the possibility/probability that any original "core" COULD a bent bumper, test-fit the bumper core before the chrome work is done. A Service replacement could likely to need chromed also (to meet show quality) and then the date-coding will be incorrect. (fitment should be OK presumably). I suppose as I have heard elsewhere...It is only "Original Once".
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:53:34 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
My understanding for Concours, SHOW QUALITY, you will need to source date-correct core bumpers and have them straightened/chromed

I could open my own used bumper shop with all of the originals I have on the shelves. Most chrome places claim they can straighten bumpers but straightening them ACCURATELY is another story.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:18:50 PM »
It typically cost me 400.00 to chrome a bumper now.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 02:21:32 PM »
Sad to hear this. I SERIOUSLY considered that bumper too but ended up purchasing a NOS (Service replacement). I'm still hoping it fits good when I get to that point. I (unfortunately) replaced my original bumpers, both front & rear, YEARS ago in favor of a Service Replacement FRONT & a re-chromed REAR one that wasn't straightened right (never fit too good but it shined like a mirror at the time:)

My understanding for Concours, SHOW QUALITY, you will need to source date-correct core bumpers and have them straightened/chromed. My suggestion would be, in light of the possibility/probability that any original "core" COULD a bent bumper, test-fit the bumper core before the chrome work is done. A Service replacement could likely to need chromed also (to meet show quality) and then the date-coding will be incorrect. (fitment should be OK presumably). I suppose as I have heard elsewhere...It is only "Original Once".
You don't think bumpers can get stamped in the same way blocks can get stamped? ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 02:40:06 PM »
You don't think bumpers can get stamped in the same way blocks can get stamped? ;)

Some claim to have done it while others have migrated the small tab (on 65-66's) from one bumper to another
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)