Author Topic: Odd shaped front wheel bearing retainer  (Read 895 times)

Offline 65Ford

Odd shaped front wheel bearing retainer
« on: January 07, 2018, 03:48:03 AM »
Anyone come across odd shaped bearing retainers?  I pulled this one from the passenger side of my '66 Mustang.  I can't imagine what circumstance would lop off a chunk of bearing retainer and the end of it looks like the part was stamped too close to the edge of the sheet of metal it was made from. 

Even if this came from the factory I harvest one from a set of '66 front spindle and drum set.  It may not matter but I wanted full coverage.
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Odd shaped front wheel bearing retainer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:06:13 AM »
I have seen these many times before but I cannot say "where". It is possible that somebody picked this out of a "junk drawer" when servicing a bad wheel bearing (my guess) and it is simply random.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

Re: Odd shaped front wheel bearing retainer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 01:32:51 PM »
Those "retainers" were stamped from a sheet of CRS and occasionally the sheet would move to the edge if the die resulting in what you see.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.