Author Topic: 67 coupe headliner question..  (Read 870 times)

Offline 22mafeja

67 coupe headliner question..
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:50:08 AM »
My jan67 sj coupe was bought with the headliner taken off. It looks to be changed once since it is quite good looking
and the holes are amateur looking.
The question is the bow order. It has 4 bows . Now I would like to have the bow order confirmed since they may have been put back wrong.
From the front it was white-red-white-blue. The difference between white and red is small so it may not be critical but I
would like to know for sure.
Should all four bows be triangular or should nr 1 be a round bar without colour? I have one round bow with the car also.
Of course I am assembling a new headliner.
Could somebody describe the roof console attaching screws and washers. No photobucket :(

Ralf
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:01:56 AM by 22mafeja »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 coupe headliner question..
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »
My jan67 sj coupe was bought with the headliner taken off. It looks to be changed once since it is quite good looking
and the holes are amateur looking.
The question is the bow order. It has 4 bows . Now I would like to have the bow order confirmed since they may have been put back wrong.
From the front it was white-red-white-blue. The difference between white and red is small so it may not be critical but I
would like to know for sure.
Should all four bows be triangular or should nr 1 be a round bar without colour? I have one round bow with the car also.
Of course I am assembling a new headliner.
Could somebody describe the roof console attaching screws and washers. No photobucket :(

Ralf

tough request since many headliners have been replaced over the years (like mine has) and VERY few Coupes are done to the Concours level...If nobody else chimes in with help, I DID take pictures of where my bows came out from and I think I numbered the bows also. Again, my headliner was changed out before and I cannot assure you they would be in correct order since my headliner was made on the spot out of material, not a pre-made version at that time.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »
The color codes and order should be in the assembly manual.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »
I just did a headliner and have done many over 30 years. The order is neutral (round one with no paint), red white blue. Every 65-68 coupe I have done has been that order however, 99% have been San Jose cars. Don't forget the wire retainers that attach to the rear (blue bow) and the rear most roof cross member.
The overhead console front bracket attaches to the front roof cross member with the large flat headed phillips type screws (3). The screws to attach the console to front bracket and rear of console to roof are chrome plated rounded head phillips screws about 1.5 inches long #8 if I remember correctly. The front screws go into clips installed on the front bracket. I believe AMK may have the hardware separately if not a complete kit. Hope this helps!
68 GT Fastback San Jose built

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 09:59:35 PM »
We have a very good directory here in the library. There you can find almost every piece of hardware.

Offline 22mafeja

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 02:43:57 AM »
Thanks everybody! Now I have it confirmed. I assembled my first headliner about 1980 so I know some about it.
The mistakes I have tried are :
Too thick insulation
Wrong bow order
Cut the headliner too much in the upper back corners before glueing
Cut the pockets too much/little
etc etc  ;D
Only recently I understood that all screws for visors , mirror, hooks and console shall be left under the new headliner
to make it easier to find the right spot where to cut openings

Ralf
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:54:36 AM by 22mafeja »

Online jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 01:15:56 PM »
Thanks everybody! Now I have it confirmed. I assembled my first headliner about 1980 so I know some about it.
The mistakes I have tried are :
Too thick insulation
Wrong bow order
Cut the headliner too much in the upper back corners before gluing
Cut the pockets too much/little
etc etc  ;D
Only recently I understood that all screws for visors , mirror, hooks and console shall be left under the new headliner
to make it easier to find the right spot where to cut openings
You have achieved "experience". How do you achieve "experience"? Make a lot of mistakes.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.