Author Topic: 69-70 Tran-AM race car detail  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Rbisch4

69-70 Tran-AM race car detail
« on: November 26, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »
Anyone know where I can find detailed pictures of original 69-70 Boss 302 Tran-AM Race Cars?  I have the available books, but detailed photos of the entire Cars top to bottom or any other info that would help in my research would be greatly appreciated.  Detail like all cars originally built to race and known survivors.  I have access to an original 69 race car which has not been seen in many years so that is my first starting point as far as photo documentation which will be a huge help, but I may end up building a 70 so I want full detail on both years. Ultimate goal is to build a Concours level car to enjoy, take this some shows and occasionally take to some historic races that a replica can race in as I know some races only allow true cars of the era which is understandable.

Thanks
1970 Mach 1 351 4V 4spd Metuchen Built

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69-70 Tran-AM race car detail
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 04:40:23 PM »
Anyone know where I can find detailed pictures of original 69-70 Boss 302 Tran-AM Race Cars?  I have the available books, but detailed photos of the entire Cars top to bottom or any other info that would help in my research would be greatly appreciated.  Detail like all cars originally built to race and known survivors.  I have access to an original 69 race car which has not been seen in many years so that is my first starting point as far as photo documentation which will be a huge help, but I may end up building a 70 so I want full detail on both years. Ultimate goal is to build a Concours level car to enjoy, take this some shows and occasionally take to some historic races that a replica can race in as I know some races only allow true cars of the era which is understandable.

Thanks
The short answer is that is easier said then done. Let me explain. I understand what you are trying to say but there are not stringent concours guidelines for competition cars like there are for stock built cars. The race cars were built custom based on the race team/run group needs. Even within the same team two cars may be built different between the two. Because of the many differences you can see why it is hard to have judging classes for them.  Between Ford race teams they may have completely different looking cars in every aspects between one and the other. The time it was run is ANOTHER whole different can of worms. Most people doing this build a car to a particular "window in time " .  They use pictures of a particular time or race to justify the modifications . Restoring a race car or even a faithful build of a replica of a race car can be hard because doing all of the things that could have been done to a particular car during its racing career may not present a correct restoration of ANY given time in the life of the car. Just some things to think about so that you can go about this in the way that makes the best sense to your situation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Rbisch4

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 07:02:21 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I assumed it would be not an exact science especially since cars "evolved" over the years as they traded hands and were raced before folks wanted to preserve them has historical.  I hope to get as close as possible to the day they were built for 69-70.  Given that I already know going into this I will have slight deviations to make the car road worthy to take to shows and drive to the track I will have subtle differences that can easily be made accurate with little effort.  Send anything you have to rbisch4@me.com.

Thanks
Rob

Offline 427Fastback

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 01:56:59 AM »
I can help you out but I could not get that address to work...I have a 67 Mustang T/A replica and may be able to point you in a useable direction...Cory(coryellwyn@hotmail.com)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 02:47:22 PM »
Agree with Bob not an easy task in many ways and often that is why builders choose to build clones/copies of specific cars rather than a homogenized version of a bunch of cars - or in turn a car that never was.

Most will start with a specific car that they are interested with based on its history, race that it won, color that they like or other reason.  From there search out possibly a magazine article that had allot (or at least a fair number) supporting pictures then go down the list of reaching out to any of the builders, sponsors or ex owners of the real car.

I think that if you research and look at them all both years your going to end up with not a clone or copy but something else that might not have the impact your looking for in a finished car. Just my thoughts

So IMHO narrow down your focus, start collecting and searching out both national and regional publications from the period  as a start

Unfortunately have a fair amount of 66 and 67 details but not the later cars
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:34:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 427Fastback

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 03:41:29 PM »
I understand what you are saying but I did not follow that line of thinking.My particular car is not a clone of any one car.I researched all 26 or so cars and took idea's from all cars.I purposely used a "R" model gas tank as they cant be bought and I would have to make my own..A fuel cell would have been too easy.Its all in the details and research...

It depends on how serious you are and how deep do you want to go in.To some a bunch of decals and a lemans gas cap make a replica.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 04:43:10 PM »
I understand what you are saying but I did not follow that line of thinking.My particular car is not a clone of any one car.I researched all 26 or so cars and took idea's from all cars.I purposely used a "R" model gas tank as they cant be bought and I would have to make my own..A fuel cell would have been too easy.Its all in the details and research...

It depends on how serious you are and how deep do you want to go in.To some a bunch of decals and a lemans gas cap make a replica.
Another aspect to consider when choosing a restoration path is what type of events does a owner plan on participating in. There is not one answer that fits all. I know at least some vintage race groups for instance require a fuel cell as well as other safety improvements like belts ,fire systems ,electrical cut offs, tow car eyelets etc. that were not on vintage cars.  That plays into how serious you are about actually running the car in vintage race events vs. a car restored in historic details to show and drive in club open track events. You would have to research specific regions and their race groups to determine what is required that would not be a back in the day historic detail .   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 427Fastback

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 05:04:36 PM »
That is very true.I used a fuel tank as apposed to a cell because that's what they used in 67.Not likely legal today to even use on the track.I also used period correct brakes and I doubt they use them today.I do have a roll bar,battery cut off and proper belts.Building a car to pass todays tech requires a slightly different approach...I live a long ways away from any historic T/A racing so it was never considered

I built this car purely for fun.Fun to build and fun to drive.It was not built for resale or magazines.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 05:16:49 PM »
That is very true.I used a fuel tank as apposed to a cell because that's what they used in 67.Not likely legal today to even use on the track.I also used period correct brakes and I doubt they use them today.I do have a roll bar,battery cut off and proper belts.Building a car to pass todays tech requires a slightly different approach...I live a long ways away from any historic T/A racing so it was never considered

I built this car purely for fun.Fun to build and fun to drive.It was not built for resale or magazines.
On the contrary the vintage brakes are what is expected in the vintage events . The Ford equivalent of what was raced back in the day . For example the the 67 TA cars had drum brakes in the rear and that is what is expected. In 68 TA cars used rear disc brakes and that would be expected. Some groups are more stringent then others in allowing upgrades on earlier year cars to later year upgrade.

Offline 427Fastback

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »
OK....I have the 10x2 1/2 drums on the back.I don't have the Lincoln front disc's tho.It currently uses 68 single piston on drilled rotors with 70 spindles..I may switch it later.I also have most of the suspension tricks/mods done.When I am finished putting my 68 Fastback back together I am going to revisit the 67..

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 07:08:33 PM »
OK....I have the 10x2 1/2 drums on the back.I don't have the Lincoln front disc's tho.It currently uses 68 single piston on drilled rotors with 70 spindles..I may switch it later.I also have most of the suspension tricks/mods done.When I am finished putting my 68 Fastback back together I am going to revisit the 67..
Best of luck with your project.

Offline Rbisch4

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 09:07:09 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Long story short is this will require a ton of research for either 69 or 70.  All depends when I find the right project car to transform.  If/when this project takes off I will be sure to share the build process via a thread if possible.