Author Topic: Underbody color - Jan 68 Dearborn  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Thierry68

Underbody color - Jan 68 Dearborn
« on: February 12, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »
Hello
For begining excuse me for my bad english
My name is Thierry, I live in France, in Lyon, I'm 55 years old, I'm a doctor and lover of beautiful cars since I was teenager .
Already owner of a Chevrolet 55 that I fully restored for over 3 years, I just acquired a Mustang 68 in perfect condition (not the slightest trace of rust on the underbody and on the body).
I bought it last June and brought it from the USA (Princetone).
It's a convertible, V8 289 ci, automatic (C4), wimbledon white color, standard interior Dark Red vinyl, with power top, power steering and center console.
The interior is probably mostly vintage and still very clean.
I start in the Mustang World and will certainly need your advice soon in many fields.
I allready changed the chrome air filter and valve covers to put back original ones bought on ebay to give it back its true vintage look.
Finally she will need now a beautiful painting.
My first question is about the color of the underbody for a Mustang 68 build the 01/29/1968 in Dearborn (during the strike).
I found in an other forum that in Dearborn it was grey generaly. But I found too, that during the strike, in March and April 68 it was Oxide Red, and that in June 68 it was dark grey. But what about January?
Can somebody help me ?
If it's Oxide red, is there a paint code for Oxide Red?
I know there was none for grey.

Thierry
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:27:12 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Underbody color - Jan 68 Dearborn
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:44:13 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support here helpful in your restoration endeavour. We have a very narrow focus here on this site but the experiences and knowledge base is pretty deep

My first question is about the color of the underbody for a Mustang 68 build the 01/29/1968 in Dearborn..........................

Just to confirm that the date (Jan 29) is from a Marti report and not the door tag.  If from the door tag is the VIN around 8F150xxx?

BTW the strike was over more than two months before your car was assembled according to what I'm seeing.  Sure if these references are not correct others will point it out

If it's Oxide red, is there a paint code for Oxide Red?
I know there was none for grey.

There would not be a paint code for a red oxide epoxy primer sealer but the base many start with and have been happy with is PPG/Diltzer DP74LF then tint from there. If you read through prior threads you will find allot of references to the product

This thread may be helpful since its related

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9391.msg55227#msg55227
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:47:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Thierry68

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:21:45 PM »
Thank you Jeff, very interesting.
Yes I confirm you the date is taken from the Marty Report but it's the same than on the Door Tag "29A"
This is what's written on my Marty Report:
Serial Number 8F03C150228
ORDER RECEIVED:            --
CAR SERIALIZED:            01/17/68
BUCKED:                         01/24/68
SCHEDULED FOR BUILD:  01/29/68
ACTUALLY BUILT:            02/01/68
RELEASED:                     02/02/68
SOLD:                            06/25/68

So if I understand, in Dearborn, it was only in Marsh and April that the underbody color was Oxide Red, but all reste of time was grey, including january 68.
I find Oxide Red more sexy but if it was grey, it was grey, and nothing else. So mine will be grey, unless someone can say that, at the end of January 1968 there was Oxide Red (but quickly then, because it must be painted next week).

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 09:50:23 PM »
Thanks

So if I understand, in Dearborn, it was only in Marsh and April that the underbody color was Oxide Red, but all reste of time was grey, including january 68.

That would not match exactly what I've have records of. Unfortunately, over the years, owners/builders would post information but post the projected build date from the door tags or not specify so the build period could be off weeks or months from when it was really built.

Unfortunately I have no reports, pictures or data from Mustangs or Cougars built during Jan 68 at Dearborn.  Hopefully someone has a nice unrestored example and they will post so you don't have to guess.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Thierry68

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 04:33:10 PM »
Thank you Jeff
I will wait and see

Offline No Paint

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 05:13:38 PM »
Greetings to all - my first post on the site. I know that is likely to late to help this gentleman but in consideration of future searches I thought I would reply.
My 1/25/68 Dearborn coupe is mostly unrestored. It is satin black or bare metal on the underside with the exception of over sprays and other coatings where they should be. I did some exploration in order to rule out that it had not been painted black at a later time or have another color under the black. I removed the plugs for accessing the seat retaining bolts and could see black up inside that lined up with the holes with bare metal otherwise. Rear "aged" axle bumpers have no paint on them. The driveshaft did not have paint on it - just light rust and the faded original paint code rings. The black seems to fade somewhat towards the rear of the underside. I looked at chips, skinned spots too. I did not see any evidence of gray or red oxide. From what I have been reading on the site it seems that a few unusual things went on at Dearborn around this time period. Just trying to help out here. If there is somewhere else that I should specifically look let me know and I'll do it. Thanks.
C 2 1 Coupe, 1/25/68, Dearborn, No Paint Code, TS Hood, Bumper Guards, Manual Brakes / Steering, Originally January Dealer Promotional Black Hills Gold Paint.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »
I've restored only 1968 cars 9all Cougars) from Dearborn. The cars I have restored run from January 1968 to May 1968. So far all of them have matched the description that you are giving. Very little red oxide except in the forward frame below and forward of the shock towers, and at the rear of the car around the gas tank area and trunk floor drop - offs. Otherwise as you say, much of it appeared to have been semi flat black originally with various sound deadener / overspray etc.

Greetings to all - my first post on the site. I know that is likely to late to help this gentleman but in consideration of future searches I thought I would reply.
My 1/25/68 Dearborn coupe is mostly unrestored. It is satin black or bare metal on the underside with the exception of over sprays and other coatings where they should be. I did some exploration in order to rule out that it had not been painted black at a later time or have another color under the black. I removed the plugs for accessing the seat retaining bolts and could see black up inside that lined up with the holes with bare metal otherwise. Rear "aged" axle bumpers have no paint on them. The driveshaft did not have paint on it - just light rust and the faded original paint code rings. The black seems to fade somewhat towards the rear of the underside. I looked at chips, skinned spots too. I did not see any evidence of gray or red oxide. From what I have been reading on the site it seems that a few unusual things went on at Dearborn around this time period. Just trying to help out here. If there is somewhere else that I should specifically look let me know and I'll do it. Thanks.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 06:33:52 PM »
As mentioned in many other threads focused on those years and plants that used batch colors for the floor section of the undercarriage the combination of the base and all the added colors can often produce a very dark gray that looks black especially given the poor lightly that is often present. Comparing a freshly painted black test panel to a freshly cleaned and stripped section will often show the very slight different between straight black and what was applied. Many have used black and gotten by
Jeff Speegle

Offline Wad 68

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 04:50:47 PM »
I know this thread is a couple years old, but it is one of the few threads where owners are reporting specifics on early 1968 Mustangs from Dearborn.  My 68 Fastback, according to the Marti report, was built January 5th, 1968 in Dearborn.  It's an 8F02C136xxx, Sunlit Gold.  While it's hard to resist posting right now, as I am doing, I will report back with what I find, as I clean and examine the underbody.  It's been undercoated, and I'm beginning the process of restoration under there.  I'll check the seat retaining bolt area and any area where bolt-ons could have hidden that color.  Hopefully I can provide some confirmation with what was already reported here for January built cars.  If anyone has more tips on possibly where to find the underbody primer color, please chime in.  Also, if this warrants a new thread, please advise.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 05:19:50 PM »
I know this thread is a couple years old, but it is one of the few threads where owners are reporting specifics on early 1968 Mustangs from Dearborn.  My 68 Fastback, according to the Marti report, was built January 5th, 1968 in Dearborn.  It's an 8F02C136xxx, Sunlit Gold.  While it's hard to resist posting right now, as I am doing, I will report back with what I find, as I clean and examine the underbody.  It's been undercoated, and I'm beginning the process of restoration under there.  I'll check the seat retaining bolt area and any area where bolt-ons could have hidden that color.  Hopefully I can provide some confirmation with what was already reported here for January built cars.  If anyone has more tips on possibly where to find the underbody primer color, please chime in.  Also, if this warrants a new thread, please advise.

No it appears your response fits right in to the discussion. Remember to check both the front (firewall forward) as well as the rear for colors. The more areas you check the higher the possibility of finding a true representation of the original color. Under sealer as in rocker or around inner seat belt anchors or places like where the exhaust brackets attached to the floor has often produced the best results

Good luck with your search
Jeff Speegle

Offline Wad 68

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 03:42:26 PM »
Every indication on my 68 Fastback, January 5th, 1968 in Dearborn, 8F02C136xxx, is that the underbody was painted blue gray.  I'm actually colorblind, unfortunately, but with some family help, it appears in several locations, under the undercoating, and high up the transition pan area, I do see this blue gray color.  I also see the Sunlit Gold overspray on some edges of the floor pan ridges.  I think my picture has a side effect of my camera's flash, but with the naked eye, you can see the layers of gray, or some gold, and then a more black undercoating.  If I get some better lighting or a better camera, I reserve the right to correct my interpretation.... ;)