Author Topic: 67 Rear Spring Markings Discussion 67 A code 4 speed GT fastback  (Read 571 times)

Offline Cool Times

67 Rear Spring Markings Discussion 67 A code 4 speed GT fastback
« on: February 24, 2018, 12:38:46 PM »
Paperback/Members

Based on the schedule, an A code fastback (63) GT had an Orange and Pink stripe marking on the leaf springs.  Your examples are for Dearborn plant code.  Any ideas on what the colors would be for San Jose plant? Same?  Front springs and front and rear shocks?  Car is a 4 speed, PS and no AC if that matters.

Thank you
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Rear Spring Markings Discussion 67 A code 4 speed GT fastback
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 04:43:05 PM »
Paperback/Members

Based on the schedule, an A code fastback (63) GT had an Orange and Pink stripe marking on the leaf springs.  Your examples are for Dearborn plant code.  Any ideas on what the colors would be for San Jose plant? Same?  Front springs and front and rear shocks?  Car is a 4 speed, PS and no AC if that matters.

Do you happen to have the engineering numbers from the rear springs?  Best way to know for sure which springs your car got originally

Easiest (so quickest) question from your list

Front and rear shocks - Brown
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Cool Times

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 09:17:44 PM »
Jeff
I do not have the original.  The last leaf that would have had the stamped number was replaced with a leaf that raised the height of the vehicle - sort of a bent leaf.  So, I'm looking for a replqcement.  It appears that the stamping should have been C7ZE-5556-AU or AV?  Or, C7ZE-5556-AE?  Not sure if I'm reading the chart right. My A code will likely never be a sought after vehicle, but trying to get he parts right.
Thank you
Mike

Offline Cool Times

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »
Typo:  C7ZA-5556-AU or AV or AE.  Not C7ZE.  It may take me a a couple of years to find one, so want to make sure.

Thank you

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 02:29:06 AM »
Split this set of responses from the thread below since it was focused on a discussion of establishing a rear spring list or conversion chart for spring application

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17385.15

I do not have the original.  The last leaf that would have had the stamped number was replaced with a leaf that raised the height of the vehicle - sort of a bent leaf.  So, I'm looking for a replacement.  It appears that the stamping should have been C7ZA-5556-AU or AV?  Or, C7AZ-5556-AE?  Not sure if I'm reading the chart right.

NOTE: ZE changed to ZA in the quote above

Right now we're not sure if the chart and all the info is correct - that's part of the purpose of the discussion and thread

I looked through my pictures and the buildsheets I have copies of and unfortunately I've got nothing solid that I can offer. Only have one orange and pink example and I would not trust the source of the markings given the car.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Cool Times

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 01:27:21 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I wish that my original spring did exist.  I did find another post that showed an image of a AU stamped spring, so that answers my question on what would be stamped on an AU spring..  But, as you mentioned, the group is still Composing a complete list of parts and applications.  I'm learning from this group, so a Thank You for this forum as well.

Mike

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 08:09:59 PM »
Jeff
I do not have the original.  The last leaf that would have had the stamped number was replaced with a leaf that raised the height of the vehicle - sort of a bent leaf.  So, I'm looking for a replqcement.  It appears that the stamping should have been C7ZE-5556-AU or AV?  Or, C7ZE-5556-AE?  Not sure if I'm reading the chart right. My A code will likely never be a sought after vehicle, but trying to get he parts right.
Thank you
Mike

Hi Mike - please note that the rear spring chart that I've been working on is still in rough-draft form, and my intent on posting it was merely to start an open dialog with other forum members on what part numbers and markings they have found on their cars over the years, what color codes are listed on the build sheets, and what information has been published in the various versions of the MPCs.  It is my hope that with all of us working together, we can finally start figuring out some of these rear spring marking mysteries, and eventually create a set of useful guidelines for concours restorers.

That being said - you were reading the chart correctly.  An A-Code GT Fastback (built after 10/26/1966) appears to have had Orange and Pink markings on the rear springs.  However, the MPCs are a little fuzzy on exactly what was used on A-Code GT Fastbacks built prior to 10/26/1966, as there is no clear call-out - so hopefully your car was built later...

One example of an Orange & Pink marked rear leaf spring was found to have the C7ZA-5556-AE number on it, so it appears that that particular number was actually used on the assembly lines.  The C7ZA-5556-AU / C7ZA-5556-AV numbers are the description numbers listed in the MPC.  I don't know if parts with the MPC description numbers were ever used on the assembly lines, but like I said, I'm just trying to get everything to line-up between the build sheets, MPCs, and findings on actual vehicles, so that's why they are all listed on the same row in the chart.

Best Regards,
Kevin
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)