Author Topic: 1967-68 Safety Convenience System - Application, Components, Wiring, Lenses and Bulbs  (Read 41327 times)

Offline jwc66k

John,
Are you familiar with the Mustang Assembly Manuals? A quick scan of your posts did not indicate your car's year, but you will find both 1967 and 1968 Electrical Manuals available. They show how the electrical components and wiring was done. There are manuals for the body, chassis, interior and engines (not 68) as well. Also, get into the habit of listing your car's year, plant, engine, build date and options. It makes answering questions easier.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
The low fuel wire color is green/white.  All 67's had the low fuel line run down the driver's side; all 68's ran down the passenger side.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Johno29

Thanks. It’s green/white off the harness, I’ll look for same tomorrow.
1967  C code convertible / San Jose

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars

As far as the bulbs go, I have heard separate comments that the "FUEL" and the "DOOR" both used "flasher bulbs". Hopefully, the following will “straighten” this out :

Door Ajar and Parking Brake Warning - No changes are shown during production year. Bulb # 256 (C4SZ-13466-A) is specified. This is a 14 volt, 0.27 amp (3.8 watt), elongated glass, flasher bulb. Apparently since it was a flasher and not on constantly, Ford felt there was no reason to go with the round glass version like they did for the Low Fuel and the Seat Belt Warning. If you are concerned, the round glass version is # 257. However, I would first check to be sure it fits into the opening provided for the elongated # 256 bulbs.

# 256 for Door Ajar and Parking Brake Warning

Hope this has been "enlightening".

Bob

Here are some pictures of the OEM G-E 256 and G-E 257 bulbs. Both showing the bi-metal strip which heats up and creates the 'flash'.
Our shop is unaware of new bulbs with this feature.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 196667Bob

Here are some pictures of the OEM G-E 256 and G-E 257 bulbs. Both showing the bi-metal strip which heats up and creates the 'flash'.
Our shop is unaware of new bulbs with this feature.

Scott : Let you become "aware" :  http://www.bulbtown.com/256_MINIATURE_BULB_BA9S_BASE_FLASHER_p/b256.htm

http://www.bulbtown.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=257

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline 196667Bob

I actually purchased these bulbs several years ago, but in checking BulbTown's site, they are still shown as available. Interestingly, on the box of 257's, the end not shown in my pictures has a bar code on it with the words "Order # 257", but on the end shown in my pictures, under the "257" sticker is stamped "503". Neither of the bulbs have any markings on their bases.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Thanks Bob for your pictures. Weird, the Bulb Town pictures do not show the bi-metal strip.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

1967 eight barrel

As for the convienience group. With the replacement of the sending unit and replacement with solid state ELFI from West Coast Cougar, is there any reason the check light wouldn't come when the ignition is energized?  Does the resistance wire factor in with the function of the circuit as far as the proof portion?

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
As for the convienience group. With the replacement of the sending unit and replacement with solid state ELFI from West Coast Cougar, is there any reason the check light wouldn't come when the ignition is energized?  Does the resistance wire factor in with the function of the circuit as far as the proof portion?
I don't believe so.  There's quite a discussion about how this circuitry works on the classic cougar community forum.  One person spent quite a bit of time trying to get his proof circuit to work and it turned out his thermister was bad in that it never had a path to ground, IIRC.

1967 eight barrel

Thank you, Randy. Can you link me to that forum?

Offline 67gta289

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17477.msg111175#msg111175
That's the one.  Isn't this the Cougar Classic Community Forum?  Oh my...my bad.  Guys and Gals, don't grow old and forget something or another...

Offline 196667Bob

In John's (67gta289) and my continued efforts to assemble information in order to provide a comprehensive Article on all aspects (history, parts, installation, testing, troubleshooting, etc.) of the 1967 (and hopefully the 1968) Mustang Safety Convenience System, an item has surfaced for which we are requesting verification with documentation, and hoping that there are some of those reading this that can be of help.

We know, based on many examples that John has documented by pictures, as well as by wiring diagrams, that on early 1967 Models (prior to 01/16/67), the Low Fuel Light "proof wire" (the Black wire, 9C877, that goes from the Red pigtail at the Firewall, to the Starter side of the Starter Solenoid), is routed along the Driver's side, through the Radiator support, and then back through the Radiator support to the Starter Solenoid (as shown in the wiring schematic attached, from the 1967 Wiring Diagrams Manual).

However, in looking at the 1967 Electrical Assembly Manual, page E7 8618-3, dated 01/16/67, Supersedes 09/28/66, this wire (now noted C7ZB-14N322-A) is routed from the Firewall, along the Passenger side Front Fender Apron to Dash Brace, to the Starter Solenoid. This would imply that cars built after 01/16/67, or shortly thereafter, should exhibit this routing. Yet John has an example of an April 14, 1967 build that shows the "proof wire" routed along the Driver's side as previously described.

If anyone has a 1967 with a Factory, documented Safety Convenience System, built after 01/16/67, please Reply with how your Low Fuel Light proof wire is routed. Please also include the first 8 characters of your Warranty plate number, and your build date.

A similar page (E8 8618-3, dated 09/20/67, Supersedes 08/11/67) is also shown in the 1968 Electrical Assembly Manual, showing the routing of the proof wire on the Passenger side. This would tend to imply (unless there were further revisions to this drawing that note otherwise), that all 68's had the proof wire routed on the Passenger side.
As both John and I have 67's, our knowledge of 1968's with the Safety Convenience System Option is limited. If you have a 1968 with known Factory Safety Convenience System, please Reply noting the routing of your proof wire. Again, Please include the first 8 characters of your Warranty plate number, and your build date.

Hopefully, this will provide us with some answers, as opposed to more questions.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
I've often wondered as much WHEN the lenses changed from the blackout lenses, 2 each of red and blue, to the "ALL RED" w/white font, found in later 67's and ALL 68's. Perhaps that detail aligns somewhere similar to the proof-wire change-over. If it is another date, as with every one of the thousands of 1967 Running Changes, it shouldn't be excluded from an article.

BTW, I have MANY images o my early 67 system still off the car and easily checked for needed details AND I have images of items I used to have that were removed from a 68 convertible. I do not have details on the 68 car more than "68 Convertible", I do still have an underdash harness kicking around for that car though.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 196667Bob

Richard : I believe that the 2 attachments might answer your question. The way I read it, the change from "backlit" to Front Lettered occurred 12/01/66, and the change to all Red Lenses occurred 05/15/67.

Since you have a complete harness "loose" right now, there are a couple of dimensions you may be able to help with (possibly more later). Neither John nor I have an original Low Fuel Light "proof circuit" black wire. In addition, I do not have the Red pigtail for it that goes through the Firewall, and John's is installed. Could you be so kind as to measure the length of the Black wire (between the end connectors) that runs from the Red pigtail to the Starter side of the Starter Relay, and the length of the Red pigtail from the Low Fuel Relay plug to its bullet connector, and the location of the firewall grommet ? Also, could you confirm the connector on the firewall end of the black wire ; the Assembly Manual and wiring diagrams show it as a 1 x 2 female bullet connector, yet all of the ones John has pictures of ate a 1 x 3 female bullet connector.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
MCA 04909